F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Questions about timing/valve clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011 | 08:00 AM
|

Ok, again, thanks for the insight.

I had a feeling my valves being white is bad- And at least I am now certain my overheating issue IS indeed a fuel condition. But now my question is; does that mean my valves should be replaced, or can I just clean and reuse them? Should I check my seats and whatnot while I have the engine out of the frame?

And one more thing. Where does the breather tube go from the valve cover? In my clymer, it says to remove the breather tube from a top the valve head. I see where the tube should be on the valve cover, but there was no hose there to remove.

Old 02-27-2011 | 08:34 AM

breather tube plugs into the bottom of the airbox - along the lower right side.

Old 02-27-2011 | 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by antatious
Ok, again, thanks for the insight.

I had a feeling my valves being white is bad- And at least I am now certain my overheating issue IS indeed a fuel condition. But now my question is; does that mean my valves should be replaced, or can I just clean and reuse them? Should I check my seats and whatnot while I have the engine out of the frame?

And one more thing. Where does the breather tube go from the valve cover? In my clymer, it says to remove the breather tube from a top the valve head. I see where the tube should be on the valve cover, but there was no hose there to remove.
Might be too little fuel but it could also be an air leak. I wouldn't bother cleaning them unless you saw specs in the white. Those specs would be pieces of metal (signs of detonation) and then you would want to do a more thorough inspection.

Then again, you could be **** and re seat them, there is nothing wrong with that, I just wouldn't bother if its just going to be a street bike.

Old 02-27-2011 | 01:35 PM
|

Ok, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. There was no debris or anything, they were just a smooth whitish color, while the others were still brown. I'll keep my top end on- I don't want to have to replace any gaskets.

About the breather tube- Does this HAVE to go into the airbox? I know the air would be filtered, but as long as I am not sucking in bugs or debris, should my engine still function the same with no breather tube going into the airbox? I only ask because this is how it has been since I bought it, I THINK. I could have very easily not reconnected the tube the first time I worked on my carbs (a few months after I bought the bike), which is probably more than likely the case.

Thanks a lot. I'll try to get some crappy cell phone pictures up of my progress.

Old 02-27-2011 | 02:42 PM

I'd filter the hole in the valve cover somehow, otherwise you've dot a direct opening into your valvetrain for debris.

I dunno if there is room for a breather filter in there or not - the factory hose seems simplest to me.

Old 02-27-2011 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by antatious
Ok, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. There was no debris or anything, they were just a smooth whitish color, while the others were still brown. I'll keep my top end on- I don't want to have to replace any gaskets.

About the breather tube- Does this HAVE to go into the airbox? I know the air would be filtered, but as long as I am not sucking in bugs or debris, should my engine still function the same with no breather tube going into the airbox? I only ask because this is how it has been since I bought it, I THINK. I could have very easily not reconnected the tube the first time I worked on my carbs (a few months after I bought the bike), which is probably more than likely the case.

Thanks a lot. I'll try to get some crappy cell phone pictures up of my progress.
I personally would get another hose on it, you have to be able to find one on ebay cheap, or even at a dealer for not too bad a price. It wont ruin the way anything runs, but there may be a small unnoticed difference, but still, you don't want that opening unfiltered into your engine and making a filter for it is just a waste of time for something so cheap.