F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Petcock issue i assume?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petcock issue i assume?

Okay so went on the longest ride yet this season today and all was well until the trip home. Started bogging as if i was running low on fuel but i know i had plenty of gas because we had just fueled up. Pulled over and the bike would start on choke but die when i took it off. Sat there for a bit and it cranked up and rode just fine.....for about 1/4 mile and it does the same thing again!!! well after this same routine about 6 times i made it home and now my assumption is that its the infamous f2 petcock and before i rebuild/get a new one was wanting some more input into my problem. Thanks guys!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

i would take your tank off and suck on the petcock vacuum while it is attatched to the petcock and while its in the on position. if fuel comes out only when you suck on the vacuum line and no fuel comes out when its in the off position then its good and your problem is else where

Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM

where is the vaccum on the petcock? i only see the fuel line coming out

Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Also, should i rebuild the f2 petcock or buy a f3 petcock? is there a difference?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM

yes the f2 petcock should look like the one in my forsale post on the third page i think. i have a perfectly fine one forsale. the f3 petcock has no vacuum and if you left it on it would flood your cyclinders

Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 PM

but coming out of my petcock there should be only one hose correct? the one for fuel to the carbs. And if the petcock is the problem ill be buying from you asap.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM

no there should be two lines on your petcock one big one for gas and a smaller one for vacuum it goes to your number 1 cylinder port. i have paypal ready and i ship fast so whenever your ready let me know

Old 04-25-2010, 08:56 PM

sorry in a noob to this, could you explain the vaccum **** as it pertains to the petcock? i may be missing something on my bike as the previous owner kinda threw it together and im having to fix all the ****ups.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM

mine defiantly only has one hose hooked up to it so i assume im missing the vacuum line..... which would probably explain alot of my fuel problems.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 PM

on the number 1 cyclinder intake runner right below your carbs on the far left hand side there should be a nipple this is also where you sync the carbs. the line runs up from there to your petcock. the diaphram in the petcock acts as a valve when there is vacuum its open and when there isnt its closed pretty simple stuff just hard to understand if you never seen it or your bike doesnt have it and your supposed to have it

Quick Reply: Petcock issue i assume?