F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

paid for F2 engine, recieved F3 engine I think???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by king3fl
Is there a link to look up the numbers? My bike is a 94 but the guy I got it from said the engines off of a 98. Not a big deal to me but it would be nice to know for sure. Here's the number from mine if anyone could tell me. PC25E-2502886. Thanks

There's a chart in my Clymer manual that lists them out - the code you gave indicates a motor from a 96 model. So - it's still an F3 model, and who knows, it might have come out of a 98 bike - but no telling if that's the motor that it rolled out of the factory with.

Looks like the rul of thumb for the codes for F2 and F3 motors is they all start with PC25E then 2xyyyyy where X= the last digit of the year model-1, so:
PC25E-2700001 would be a motor from a 1998 model 600.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I guess he was at least in the ballpark.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 AM

I guess when I do install it I'll just do it like it is, I hope it doesn't make that much of a difference

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM

its going to make a lot of difference. for starters, your speedo will not work. you will also have problems with the exhaust leaking due to the open air injection lines from the head. there are other small differences that you will find with the cali model and the f3 vs. a non cali f2 engine. its going to take some headwork (thinking) and a little fab, but it can be done. i believe there is a way that you can close off that air system, but im not sure where to find it. looking in the forum may prove to be a good start. good luck, and as always, we are all here for you!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jeason15
its going to make a lot of difference. for starters, your speedo will not work. you will also have problems with the exhaust leaking due to the open air injection lines from the head. there are other small differences that you will find with the cali model and the f3 vs. a non cali f2 engine. its going to take some headwork (thinking) and a little fab, but it can be done. i believe there is a way that you can close off that air system, but im not sure where to find it. looking in the forum may prove to be a good start. good luck, and as always, we are all here for you!

speedo will still work - f2 is driven straight off the front hub.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Yea the gauges wouldnt work if i was going from f3 -> f2 but im going from f2 -> f3 so I can still use my speedo wire. I have done a lot of research on here and other places and it seems like other people have made block off plates and they work just fine. And actually on mine, upon further inspection the hoses on this engine recirculate to eachother so it seems someone already de-emissioned it. The only thing im sort of worried about now is using an f2 oil pan and oil strainer (the 97-98 f3 oil pan is deeper and the oil strainer is longer) I honestly think this wont make much of a difference but holds a little bit less oil and it might throw the dipstick level off a little bit

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

I will state I may not be 100% correct here, but the dipstick measures oil level so that a) you're not underfilled for whatever pickups are, but also so that you don't overfill. Over filling would lead to the oil possibly getting into the bottom of the crank assembly, and the crank in turn whipping the oil into a froth. The foaming/frothing is what is trying to be avoided. If you're using the right dipstick for the engine case you're going to run, I would think it would still be telling you what you need to know.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM

I see exactly what you are talking about(helps when you actually go physically look at it). Btw the number on the block is PC25E-2101970 which points to a 92 engine??? But why was the oil pan different...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 PM

hmm - I'll doublecheck the charts I have when I gt home to the clymer manual.

does the motor you have have the speed sensor on the top of the block? that'll tell you for sure if it is a F3 or not.

I just made this pic - check the red circle - that's the speed sensor on a F3.

Attached Thumbnails paid for F2 engine, recieved F3 engine I think???-f2f3.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 PM

No speedo sensor, lol so I guess that means it's a 1992 California engine

Quick Reply: paid for F2 engine, recieved F3 engine I think???