F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Okay, being a newbie to the site I'll post it here,

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Okay, being a newbie to the site I'll post it here,

Don't want to ruffles feathers so here's my tech questions; I've had trouble starting a 93 f2 I recently purchased. It starts for a few seconds then dies. I try it again, same thing. Then it just turns over and backfires, loud!! What am I doing wrong? Should I keep pumping (giving it gas) while it's cranking or not. My instinct tells me to keep giving it gas until it starts.......but the loud backfire doesn't seem natural. Help please.

The following users liked this post:
spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basics, check fuel, air, and spark. Get intimate with the F2 by tearing down to where you're comfortable and then put it back together. For me on my 96 F3 it was a learn as I went process.

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks, there is a small idle adjustment valve near the on/off/res valve; is this only to adjust the idle when the bike is running or should I be turning it increase the gas flow to help get it started?

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That adjustment screw is only to set the idle when the bike is at normal operating temperature.

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No, don't give it gas...it will only flood the carb...before you tear it apart, take pictures....get a service manual, some thread on this forum will give you a free download. Once you tear it apart, pull the plugs and see what it tell you. Take a picture & post it here.

Your bike is mis-firing...a foul spark plug will do that. Clean the plug and start it...see if spark show....replace all four if needed...go with iridium so no gapping is needed....

Check you fuel filter to see if it's really brown? Fuel flow maybe disrupted causing shut off during idle.

So does the bike keep running when giving rev? Say hold throttle at 3000rpm, does bike shut off or keep running? Then when you let go back to idle, it shuts off?

Unless your air filter are very dirty/or any vacuum hose may have been pinch or pull off, it's likely a spark issue or gas flow.

Originally Posted by Tort93f2
Don't want to ruffles feathers so here's my tech questions; I've had trouble starting a 93 f2 I recently purchased. It starts for a few seconds then dies. I try it again, same thing. Then it just turns over and backfires, loud!! What am I doing wrong? Should I keep pumping (giving it gas) while it's cranking or not. My instinct tells me to keep giving it gas until it starts.......but the loud backfire doesn't seem natural. Help please.

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 to lilRed.

+1 to you tort.

I'm glad you are asking your questions before you fiddle.
I like helping all of the folks that pop in here, but sometimes, I cring at the
ones who ask for assistance after the bike is in pieces. It's a lot easier to help guide them through, then figure out where they stopped.

Are you using the choke to start? Try starting with full choke, if that doesn't do it
and you get the back-fire...try choke off, grab the throttle wrap it all of the way to full
open, and then try it. Don't back off, on the first sputters, let it try to catch and then
try to keep it running with blips. Don't peg the rpm, try to keep it in the 5-6 grand
range, easing off occasionally to see if it will drop and maintain an idle.

Before you do try to start it, add about 4 ounces of carb-cleaner to the gas.
That might clean the idle jets, for you. On that note...

Has the bike been sitting for a while? If the bikes been sitting, it may need to have
the carbs cleaned. Do you (honestly) think you have the tools and skills to do it?

If so start reading on the how-to forums, ask the questions your reading brings up,
and we'll work you through it.

If you don't think you have the skills, don't feel stupid! Stupid is proceding anyway,
and piling up expensive mistakes. I'm always more impressed by someone who
acknowledges their limitations , then one who lies (to himself or me) about them.
We might still be able to help you, help yourself.

Try my tips for starting the bike, as is. If that doesn't help, feel free to get back and
we'll try a new angle.

Ern

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Thanks to all, the bike ran a few months ago when I test drove it, and when I brought it home I drove it around the block a few times before parking it. It seem to run fine, no real acceleration issues. The PO mentioned the bike sat for awhile and he put Sta-Bil in the tank last fall/early winter.

Here's what I've done thus far. Not knowing the condition of the gas and assuming the worst I pulled the tank and drained the old gas. The gas was on the brown side. Is this due to the Sta-Bil?

Wanting to change the spark plugs anyway I pulled the airbox to get to the plugs easier. That was last night, haven't pulled the plugs yet but when I do I'll report back their condition. The vaccum and gas lines all look pretty good, no kinks, all normal.

I also plan on changing oil and radiator fluids.

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated.

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Check Fuel filter...& if bike sat for long time? Carb may need cleaning

Originally Posted by Tort93f2
Thanks to all, the bike ran a few months ago when I test drove it, and when I brought it home I drove it around the block a few times before parking it. It seem to run fine, no real acceleration issues. The PO mentioned the bike sat for awhile and he put Sta-Bil in the tank last fall/early winter.

Here's what I've done thus far. Not knowing the condition of the gas and assuming the worst I pulled the tank and drained the old gas. The gas was on the brown side. Is this due to the Sta-Bil?

Wanting to change the spark plugs anyway I pulled the airbox to get to the plugs easier. That was last night, haven't pulled the plugs yet but when I do I'll report back their condition. The vaccum and gas lines all look pretty good, no kinks, all normal.

I also plan on changing oil and radiator fluids.

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated.

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Fuel filter? I checked the manual, no external on this bike, right? Googled and it says it's in the petcock.....? Where?

spock1997 (02-14-2024)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Should look something like this:

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CB...e/Fuel_Filter/

If fuel is brown?? Don't know how clog filter may be?

Quick Reply: Okay, being a newbie to the site I'll post it here,