F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil-drenched engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No adjustments to the pilot screws, and I have the fuel going to the fuel joint pipe although it would have been pretty typically me to connect them to the air vent. I'll be sure to check everything properly, haven't got around to do that yet though. What I've been up to is trying to figure out the timing again. I think I am one tooth of on the exhaust sprocket which combined with the fact that I have an aftermarket pulse rotor sprocket without any timing marks except the one I did scratch in there myself with the help of pics in this thread by Phil314, might be enough to put the ignition off by a few degrees. Maybe that could be the problem...

Old 05-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:19 AM

Nah, I have been occupied with buying another bike which I will pick up tomorrow (an old KTM 690 Enduro with extra tanks for long dirt rides). But soon I'll be back, wrenching on the Honda and what I'll do first is to check the timing and do another valve clearance check. I read about this guy who had the exact same problem and it turned out some of the shims had slid off their position and messed up his clearances.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 AM

Kind of same for me. Been pre-occupied with a suzuki and a yamaha.
Suzuki is nearly ready to sell. Yamaha is going to stay for a while. No work needed.

I'm getting my F2 wheels back from powder coat soon, and I'm about to put a new seat cover on its Corbin seat. My mom sewed one up for me. Not perfect, but pretty good overall.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:49 AM

You, sir, have a kind mother. I have been nagging my wife about doing something useful like making me a seat to no avail for several months now.

Wrenching mania is both a curse and a gift depending on which mood you're in. If I ever get that tig welder I've been thinking about, I'm sure I'll be making stuff more than I will be riding stuff.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...it was not until Migge bought himself the welding machine when the project started to veer out of control...

Old 05-08-2015, 05:13 AM

Hahaha, spot on, Mattson! Who knows what kind of stuff I would make if I had access to the flame...

Old 05-10-2015, 05:25 AM

I know this is a thread about my CBR but the reason I haven't been working on it lately is this:

This new to me but 39 000 km old -08 with two extra 5-liter tanks to increase total tank volym to 22 liters. I am just about to get it ready for MOT inspection tomorrow. All I have to do really is change the FMF slipon to the original one, the rest seem to be working. Further down the road, I'll change the tires to most likely TKC 80. Then a summer of adventure offroad awaits...

Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
What the holy living hell is that contraption????

Edit: found it
http://www.factoryfat.com/roadog.html

Last edited by Existenz_is; 05-10-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM

So... not much has happened, but I'll get to work this weekend. But before I do anything, I would like to ask you of this could possibly the wrong timing. I know you don't see the pulse generator sprocket but assuming it's put on the proper way, like the only way, this is what it would look like when the cam chain is on, right? The reason I'm asking is this pro mechanic told me that the lobes on cylinder 1 should be pointing like a V, angling backwards on the intake valve and forward on the exhaust valve. But aligning the markings of the sprockets (which I never removed from the cams) with the surface of the head gives me this angle of the lobes. He also states that me seemingly being one tooth off on the chain would not cause it not to start. Maybe run bad, but it would start. Any thoughts, guys?

Quick Reply: Oil-drenched engine