F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Now I'm forked!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I'm forked!

I finally tore my bike down so I can't endanger my life squidding up and down the street anymore until I actually finish it.

One thing that needs to be done is fork and dust seal replacement. I couldn't find a way to hold the bike up so I put a 2X4 across two saw horses and under the sub frame. I ran big screws down through the two holes in the farthest aft cross member and into the 2X4 and on both ends into the saw horses. It can't fall over.

So I convince my self that I can hold up the front end while I pull the front wheel. Guess what? I couldn't. got the wheel off and after bending the solid brake line that goes across to connect the two front calipers I called my wife to come help me. She put a stool under the fork ends when I picked the bike up and it now rests on the ends of the forks.

How the heck do you keep these things upright while pulling the front forks. I tried to jack the bike up with my bike jack but it lifts the whole bike up, not just the front. Besides, I don't like jacking the bike up on my exhaust. How is this done? I've got an engine hoist but I'd have to work for at least a half hour to get it out to where I could use it. And then it would be hanging by whatever until I finished the forks up. I don't like that either.

Help! How's it done?

Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheapest way is a rear-stand and a floor jack. Set the rear-stand first and then
use the floor jack at the very front (yes, under the header-pipes) to lift the front.
I use a hydralic lift, under the engine (blocked to rest on the engine base) and raise
the entire bike. Quite a few use a rear stand and a ratchet strap secured to the ceiling
to lift the front end. The whole bike only weighs 400+ pounds, so you're really not
dealing with a lot of weight. Common sense and ingenuity are the best tools here.
As far as lifting under the headers, I've never had it cause any problems. The load
isn't that great.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks, I was worried about damaging the headers. I guess I've got a plan now. I'll either use a strap to the rafters or my hyd. jack from underneath. Thanks Ern.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM

They also make front triple tree stands. They aren't cheap though and you probably won't be using it all that often.

jacking up from the headers works just fine, just don't tip the damn thing over!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM

i used the triple tree stants, burrowed my friends

Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Best way, as far as cost/security, is to hang it off the ceiling. I'm not afraid to lift the bike off the headers, but as has been pointed out, it's not as stable. Good for quicky jobs, But I don't walk away and turn-out the lights with it lifted that way.

There's a thread on hanging bikes that does a pretty detailed discussion of how to
go about it. If you do a lot of wrenching, it might be worth your time.

Ern

Old 02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
...How the heck do you keep these things upright while pulling the front forks...

Help! How's it done?
There are many ways you can do it. As Ern mentioned, there's a recent thread here discussing many of those options, including my own (w/ pics) using stands...https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...-bikes-133565/.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bought a inexpensive triple tree stand - make front end work a cinch.

$79 and you need to order an additional 24mm $8.99 pin to fit our bikes. So find another $12 in stuff on their website and the shipping is free.

http://www.flyncycle.com/front_yoke_.../pdshead01.htm

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 02-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
bought a inexpensive triple tree stand - make front end work a cinch.

$79 and you need to order an additional 24mm $8.99 pin to fit our bikes. So find another $12 in stuff on their website and the shipping is free.

Biketek Motorcycle Front Head / Triple Tree Yoke stand for most sport style bikes

This is a better option than hanging your bike

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm going to end up using my engine hoist. I have to move two other bikes and a small block Chevy to get to it but it's better than dropping my bike. Right now I simply cannot afford nice bike stands and buy parts for my bike at the same time. They are definitely in my future though.

Quick Reply: Now I'm forked!