F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Not the R/R

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the R/R

Sad news, I've replaced the R/R and still no fire. I'm trying to narrow this down myself but don't know where to go now. A little background...bought a '92 600F2 not running for $400. Found the voltage regulator/rectifier was burnt at the plug, hoping that was all it was, ordered one and 15 days later...nothing. I've downloaded a manual and will be checking for spark at the coils and plugs tomorrow. Any suggestions on any other things I should check would be greatly appreciated. It's getting fuel but no spark. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Exactly how are you testing for spark? I was noobish and once tested for spark w/o touching it to the chassis. You could test the ICM and the 2 things that the coils go to, name escapes me.1 and 4 go to one and 2 and 3 go to another iirc.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:24 PM

I've got the manual and it says to check the different wires on the ignition control module with my multimeter for continuity or resistance accordingly. It also shows how to check the coils and the ignition pulse generator. Really hoping it's not the ignition pulse generator.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should also look into the kill switch on the right clip-on - if that switch is faulty, it will allow the motor to turn over, but will not provide spark for lightin' the fires!
The switchgear on each side are fully exposed to the elements, and sometimes the contacts for these switches can be corroded, and in need of cleaning, or maybe a little solder touch up.

How I knew when mine was in need of attention, was when one day I'm riding along, through my work parking lot, heading home, and all of the sudden the bike just flat died... the lights were still on, but it wouldn't re-start.
I toggled the kill switch off/on a few times, being a little punchy with it, and then I was able to start... after pulling that switch apart and touching things up, I haven't had the problem again.

Anyway, just something very simple to consider - good luck!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And look into the starter relay... Speaking of experience here. Mine is dead at the moment, starter relay related. I too replaced the R/R and a burnt plug at first, then the main relay, then nothing and now I am waiting for starter relays.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by GPiper
I've got the manual and it says to check the different wires on the ignition control module with my multimeter for continuity or resistance accordingly. It also shows how to check the coils and the ignition pulse generator. Really hoping it's not the ignition pulse generator.
Are all of these tests with in range? If they are it is a faulty ICM, which is 450 USD new or 100ish off of flea bay. Also test your spark by putting an old but working plug into the cap and while pressing the start button with the killswitch on the "run" touch the engine block. If you see spark well then you have spark and it is just being a whiny bitch. My bike did that after i cleaned the carbs.