F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Need New F2 Winshield - Would F3 one Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need New F2 Winshield - Would F3 one Fit?

A truck backed its bed over my windshield and broke it -- no other damage to bike luckily. I've spliced it back together for now and as before, I stretched black contact vinyl over this clear original anyway, so it looks intact (from a distance). But I still need to replace it.

I don't have the money to spend on high end Zero Gravity shields, and I've found an alternative that I could afford. Below are the pages at Amazon of two variations, both have more than one image of it.

The both say it's for an F2, but seems like it's really one for the F2 and the other for the F3. I prefer the less "bulb"-y design of the second one below or F3 or 1995-1998 one, and it seems to me that the important bold holes are correct even though the left and right rider-side ends of the windshield has some extra hole (for what I don't know). The OEM F2 I have doesn't have any of that.

I know how to cut acrylic so I could essentially shave that part off and round out the acrylic to look more like the original. Please let me know if the 2 important bolt holes on it would fit my 1992 F2.

Thanks.

Windshield for 1991-1994 F2 Windshield for 1991-1994 F2

Windshield for 1995-1998 F3

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM

The first one is more bubbled than an OEM screen, but it does have the same mounting points as an OEM F2 shield. I wouldn't expect the "F3" one to fit, it doesn't look like the mount points would line up.

I would check the "for sale" forum or ebay if I were you.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay $26 free shipping. They are also 99 cents but $36 shipping! From Hong Kong or China. I got one, no complaints.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soniclight, I've got an F2 windscreen for sale pretty cheap, check my sale thread here:

'93 OEM Parts For Sale

Let me know if you need it.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 02-22-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Talking

bazacko
Thanks for feedback on differences and I'll stick to going with the correct model.

coaminer frank
Thanks and I'll give eBay another look though I don't mind paying a wee bit more for shipping at Amazon for deliveries are fast. See my response to JNSRacing below -- the thread includes pics and comment by one guy who was also happy with the non-OEM one.

JNSRacing
Thanks for the offer, but I like the higher non-OEM aftermarket shield -- a bit more wind protection. I later found a thread here that compares the OEM vs. the one I'm considering getting:

Scroll down to the 6th post by Optimus Prime - it has two side-by-side pic attachments that kind of sold me on it. He's quite satisfied with it.

-- CBRForum "raised windhield" thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Soniclight
JNSRacing
Thanks for the offer, but I like the higher non-OEM aftermarket shield -- a bit more wind protection. I later found a thread here that compares the OEM vs. the one I'm considering getting:

Scroll down to the 6th post by Optimus Prime - it has two side-by-side pic attachments that kind of sold me on it. He's quite satisfied with it.

-- CBRForum "raised windhield" thread
For sure, the "double bubble" style windscreens allow you to get "tucked in" much better!

Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
For sure, the "double bubble" style windscreens allow you to get "tucked in" much better!
Yup, true, though...
I never go that fast anyway, especially when going to the grocery store - lol
That's why I built that trunk system you see in my avatar (I can't afford a car):

----- It has two rows of 48 red LEDs for rear/brake - one always lit, second comes on when I hit the brakes so that both rows are lit (and yes, they have their own fuses ;) Then I have 10 jumbo 10mm amber LEDs for each signal light built into the back of it. eBay lights. And then the top part is slip-proof floor rubber and can also use my own custom sized baggage net for additional stuff in black canvas gym bad type thing.

Many people have Ford F150 or F250 pickup trucks.
Mine is a, uh... F2 mini-pickup truck. I've actually hauled bricks and lumber on my bike. Since I'm a skinny guy, there is an extra weight-haul margin ;D

(OK, fine.... so I'm way OT and showing off here but hey, this sucker was built from the ground up starting with two Samsonite suitcases I took apart, used electrical piping/conduit similar to the diameter of the bike's frame for frame extension, etc. I now have much roomier compartment for all the F2' rear lights, etc. wire spaghetti below the "floor" of the inside of the trunk. It took me almost a year in spare-time time to make this trunk thing.)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM

You know, I've been just glancing at your avatar, as I've read and responded to your posts, and didn't even notice the details!! That is very...ummm...interesting!!
Do you have any pics posted somewhere of this pup-truck-cycle hybrid?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that picture was photoshopped. Dam! Thats crazy! Kinda cool........I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
You know, I've been just glancing at your avatar, as I've read and responded to your posts, and didn't even notice the details!! That is very...ummm...interesting!!
Do you have any pics posted somewhere of this pup-truck-cycle hybrid?
Thanks for asking. I can upload a couple but I only have some of the as-it-was-being built and need to take a couple of shots of how it looks now. Other life stuff going on right now, maybe within the next few days :)