F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Is my engine toast from this 1 little piece?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010 | 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Well, between having no bike at all, and having to bump start a bike, I'll take bump starting any day.
And fixing the bike properly isn't an option on the list...why?

If your brakes stop working, do you just drag your feet?

Some people say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I say if it IS broke, fix it.

Old 09-13-2010 | 10:19 PM
|

it'll be fixed real soon, but in the mean time I would like to ride a little since my engines functions properly the electric start just doesnt work

Old 09-14-2010 | 12:21 PM

Bah, bump starting isn't nearly as bad as having no brakes. Being unable to go anywhere isn't typically the cause of death or injury on a sport bike :P

Old 09-17-2010 | 09:09 AM
July 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
That actually happend to me to first motor on my bike. The guy sold me a not running bike cheap to find I needed another motor. Exactly your same problem and spot. JB Weld won't do it very long, and cost over $300-$400 for a machinist to get it welded on with precision. You have 2 options for the cheapest fix, 1. get another motor 2.Get the oem block off of a website and replace the block and piston rings, www.bikebandit.com has them.
i agree..i wouldent trust any type of apoxy to hold that ..

Old 09-17-2010 | 04:13 PM
|

purchased a new engine off of ebay for $175... 15k miles

Old 09-18-2010 | 08:40 AM

15k for that price, not bad at all. Plus you have an option of getting another block and have a spare rebuild too. Make it your hobby over the winter, a just in case back-up. I am just saying, it is an option.

Old 09-19-2010 | 03:49 PM
|

yea, I plan on keeping the old engine out in the shed at my parents house as thats the only problem and it is still mechanically sound... With that being said, anybody ever replace an engine on one of these cause this will be my first engine replacement of any kind??

Old 09-19-2010 | 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lanceam24
yea, I plan on keeping the old engine out in the shed at my parents house as thats the only problem and it is still mechanically sound... With that being said, anybody ever replace an engine on one of these cause this will be my first engine replacement of any kind??
I have. Just pop the carbs off (somewhat difficult to get the the screws and to take the throttle cables off, and make sure clutch cable is off). After all 4 carb boot clamp screws are loose, the carbs just pull off. If they've never been of...it'll take a good yank to get them off.

Radiator off helps.

Then just make sure all wires are disconnected. 4 plug wires (its easier if you take the coils off), fan switch wire, kickstand wire. There may be more.

Put a floor jack under the motor and unbolt the mounts. It helps to have a friend hold it steady. One good thing is that the F2 motor doesn't ride on the swing arm pivot bolt, so that can stay on.

All of the mounts but one are normal. The bottom rear, you'll likely snap (because its so long, pretty skinny, and likely frozen in place), so if you could source a spare one, that'll help. The top rear mount has a "cap" on it (left side) that uncovers are large allen head. I think its around 10mm. So you'll need a large allen socket.

After all mounts are loose, just move the jack down a tiny bit and forward, engine should come with it.

Don't hold me to exact specifics, but that's the jist of it.

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:13 PM
|

yea I didnt know if this would be in the clymer manual or not but I just looked in mine and it is listed in there. Doesn't look difficult just drain fluids and bolt and unbolt. I guess i'll replace the spark plugs while im at it, I will probably install a new chain and sprockets

Old 09-19-2010 | 05:25 PM

One of the easier bikes if you ask me. Not having the swing arm pivot bolt as an engine mount makes it multitudes easier. Can put it on a rear stand to remove engine. Can't do that if you need to take the swing arm off. lol

Quick Reply: Is my engine toast from this 1 little piece?