F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Is my engine toast from this 1 little piece?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:29 PM
|
Default Is my engine toast from this 1 little piece?

Long story short, I figured out why my bike wouldnt even crank... The boss which holds the pin that holds the starter gear in place broke in half. I took the gear out today only to find that the back side broke also (see pic)

Now THIS piece is on the block, I cant just replace it like I can the stator cover. I still have the piece that broke off and I know that good ole jb weld doesnt hold up great in engines. Can this be fixed?

Old 09-09-2010 | 08:31 PM
|
Old 09-10-2010 | 07:54 PM

Maybe you could try taking it to a machine shop or good welding shop that has experience with welding. I don't have the experience myself, buy an expert will be able to look at it and tell you if its fixable.

Old 09-10-2010 | 09:46 PM
|

more money I dont have. I might just try my luck with this jb weld. It supposedly works pretty good when prepped right. Ashame how this little piece could ruin the ability to start my bike

Old 09-11-2010 | 07:35 AM

I don't think JB weld will hold for very long, if at all. Especially on an awkward shape like that. Taking it to a machine shop would definitely be cheaper than a new engine..

Old 09-11-2010 | 09:21 AM

That actually happend to me to first motor on my bike. The guy sold me a not running bike cheap to find I needed another motor. Exactly your same problem and spot. JB Weld won't do it very long, and cost over $300-$400 for a machinist to get it welded on with precision. You have 2 options for the cheapest fix, 1. get another motor 2.Get the oem block off of a website and replace the block and piston rings, www.bikebandit.com has them.

Old 09-11-2010 | 12:24 PM
|

that sux, such a little piece too. I guess its on to another engine then

Old 09-11-2010 | 12:28 PM
|

Im pretty mechanically inclined, but im new to motorcycles. I know how engines work and everything but I know physically getting into the motor requires precision with everything so idk if I should try and tackle this being somewhat of a noob. I might just look for a used engine

Old 09-11-2010 | 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
That actually happend to me to first motor on my bike. The guy sold me a not running bike cheap to find I needed another motor. Exactly your same problem and spot. JB Weld won't do it very long, and cost over $300-$400 for a machinist to get it welded on with precision. You have 2 options for the cheapest fix, 1. get another motor 2.Get the oem block off of a website and replace the block and piston rings, www.bikebandit.com has them.

Really? That much? (300-400) That sounds steep to me. Did you get quoted at that? I'm not saying you're wrong, just seems high to me

I sold the motor out of my F2 to a guy, and I think this exact problem was the reason why he needed a new one. Sold the motor for $300, so good engines can be found on the cheap.

Old 09-11-2010 | 09:37 PM
|

I've been doing some research and while this isnt a "common" problem, a few people have had it happen to them... I guess theres no way to prevent this from happening. I might be able to sell off my old engine for parts. O well the search is on

Quick Reply: Is my engine toast from this 1 little piece?