F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

my cbr stop running

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cbr stop running

Hello,

I have a little problem with my bike...

Yesterday my bike stop running. I was on my bike waiting the train to cross over. Suddenly my bike stop running. I said to myself "No problem I run out of gasoline" so i put it on the res. Gone to the station, fill with gasoline. Everything was god until later that day when at a point i stop my bike for 15 min. When I wanted to go, the bike wont start at all. I left it about another 15 min, and after that i hit the start button. The bike start. I left it on neutral until i put my helmet and my jacket on me. When i was about to put my gloves, the bike stop like she did before, when i was waiting the train to pass. What could be the problem??
Thank you very much,
(I am from Romania, so excuse my writing mistakes)

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Could be a lot of things. What would happen when it dies? what sound/feel/rpm? maybe your not getting fuel/air/spark. check your fuel petcock (suck on tube from cylinder 1 to petcock and make sure gas comes out). drain float bowls (to check that all have gas in them... should be roughly same amount in each). Check your spark plugs. check your battery.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Could it be overheating? Maybe you don't have enough coolant inside and you aren't getting accurate temperature readings.

I have found that when my bike overheats, it behaves similarly to running out of gas. It responds slowly/weakly and has an unusual feel.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 PM

When it dies it just dies. It' s like i turn it off from the emergency switch. No strange sound or strange rpm. I don't think it was overheating. I have enough coolant. I had a problem with my clutch cable that day, and at the end of the day it breaks. I replaced the cable. I'm gonna see the next days how it run.
I mention that I have the common problem with cam chain tension. Rattling sounds.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM

CCT problem -> https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-93/cct-replacement-fix-engine-rattle-good-91238/

any results from checking sparkplugs, battery, fuel petcock, float bowls?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM

The battery is OK. I'm gonna change the sparkplugs tomorrow. Please tell me where to find the float bowls? I don't know what represent those. A picture will be perfect. And what the float bowls do? Which is their role? Thanks.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Your float bowls are on the bottom of your carbs when they are mounted in the bike. You can see the bowls by removing the side fairings. All four bowls have drain holes with flathead screws on the side (facing the side of the bike, two facing left, two facing right). If you loosen these screws a couple turns, fuel should pour out. If fuel pours out of all four bowls, then you know each carb and thus each cylinder is getting fuel.

On this picture, the drain screws are labeled with "1."

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzyBear; 04-07-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM

Nice pic and explanation above but the ROLE of the float bowl is to hold a small (seperate) supply of fuel for each carb and therefore each cylinder. They are called float bowls because they have a float mechanism in each bowl that regulates how much fuel is pulled from the gas tank into the bowl. The bowl is the rounded part of the carb directly above the drain screw in the picture above. Unless you have a fully clogged jet the presence of gas in the float bowl indicates there is gas reaching the cylinder. So by draining each float bowl you will know if each cylinder has fuel available to it. If you turn the drain screw and nothing comes out then you know you have a problem getting fuel to the carbs (usually the fault of the petcock).

You will still need to check for air/spark. this can most easily be done by removing the spark plugs. you can then test the plug for spark and inspect it to see if it is fouled by too much gas and not enough air or if it is burnt, too much air and not enough fuel.

Last edited by Bently600; 04-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM

Hello there,

I guess I found the problem. It's the emergency stop switch. Yesterday, I turned the handlebar to the left and the bike stop running. I start the bike and at the same time a thought cross my mind... I touched the emergency stop switch (without switching to OFF position) and the bike stoops. When I tried to start the bike again, it fail. I put the emergency stop switch to ON/OFF about 3 times, hit the starter and the bike start running. When i touch the switch again, it's the same story. Bike stop running. So i have to inspect the button or replace it.
Thank you again for your help.