F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

high idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing as far as boots are concerned, they have a little notch on them. It corresponds with a tab on the carbs. If they somehow got flipped then it could cause them to be kicked.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all harbor freight is awesome hahah.

I am sure that my choke is ok because I made a point of checking it out.

I didnt realize i could buy that part. I will pick one up for sure, thank you.

I am going to get some new boots and use your method of getting them on.... Idk why I never thought of greasing the boots to get them on. I always just tried jumping on the carbs to get them in and it never worked.

And I dont think they would be flipped cause I think they were each labeled for which way was up.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, they are labeled which way is up.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM

so i read my manual today (should have in the first place) and it said to start at 2 1/8 turns out for the pilot screws. It seems like every one on the forums thinks it 2.5 and i figured i would go a little more at 2.75 because of some mods.... So i am assuming thats why i was way off. Now the bike idled pretty good when cold without the vacuum hose hooked to the pet ****. But after it warmed up and i plugged the vacuum hose to the pet **** it idled around 1500 +.

I am going to keep adjusting the screws back and hope that does the trick. I just wish I had one of those 90 degree tools!

oh and i took off my fuel filter and the leak stopped... opps. haha but the new petcock coming in will be nice cause it will have a reserve and a filter on it.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM

everytime i think it gets better, it gets worse.... I literally put the screws in all the way and the bike just barely idled at 1200 rpm. I don't get it. If they are in all the way shouldn't the engine starve? Anyway i think i am going to give up for the winter and just take it to a mechanic or something. I cant figure this one out. If you guys know anyone that was having similar problems let me know cause i would love to hear how they fixed them.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM

when the bike was idling with the vacuum line off of the petcock it idled lower than when the petcock was on or when i put my finger over over the vacuum line. Could that mean the bike is getting too much gas? is it possible that something inside the carbs might need to be changed out? like a float needle etc...

Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsenk48
when the bike was idling with the vacuum line off of the petcock it idled lower than when the petcock was on or when i put my finger over over the vacuum line. Could that mean the bike is getting too much gas? is it possible that something inside the carbs might need to be changed out? like a float needle etc...
There might be an answer in this - if the diaphragm in the petcock is broken, then, when vacuum is applied to that line, it could cause the engine to suck in extra air or fuel to cylinder 1... disassemble the petcock, and examine that rubber diaphragm, to see if it is not installed correctly, or is damaged.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:36 PM

okay so i drug this out way longer then i should have...

I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER. and apparently it was in the book all along. I was thinking that maybe i should try to sync my carbs better and while searching the internet I found a video of someone syncing carbs using a guitar string as a feeler gauge. Then i was reading the service manual and realized there was a trouble shooting section and there was a section for high idle... one of the options was an improper sync.

soo i stripped the bike again and bench synced the carbs. Those stupid vacuum gauges are terrrible!! After the bench sync I reseated the boots because I realized the notches on the back werent lined up so they werent going all the way on, and one of those bell looking things that go in between the carbs and airbox wasn't on the notches and i must have just forced it together without noticing....

Now the bike is running well... not perfect but welll. It idles at the proper rpm and I can actually adjust the idle so low that it will die I am really happy that everything has finally come together and I learned more than i even wanted to working on this bike...

The petcock will be worked out in time. I have this new one that I want to install but when I tried last time it leaked gas from where it threads in. and the fuel filter that came with it doesn't fit through the opening. I emailed the ebay seller and hopefully they have some advice.

but there it is. A high idle with properly adjusted screws can be an improper sync.

Next is a jet kit

thanks for all your help guys and im sorry it took so much to figure it the problem with my carbs, old and new.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM

and here she is

Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dsenk, I'm so sorry, I thought the subject of one of the throttle plates being out of whack (not synched) had already been discussed!
Anyway, I'm glad you made some forward progress, and now you can focus on getting it tuned properly, so it will run the way you want it to.

Bike looks good, by the way!

Quick Reply: high idle problem