F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

high idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dsenk48
Agreeed! I am ready to make the purchase just one last thing I wanted to run by you. In the ad it says "missing linkage". What does that mean? And will I be able to transfer mine without a problem?
What that means, is whatever the seller is interpreting it to mean, which is not clear... it could be he's just saying there are no throttle cables, but I would message the seller, and get confirmation on this.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get better eyes to go with my glasses. Or brains to remember where the pilot screws go. Sorry.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by gpfan1
I need to get better eyes to go with my glasses. Or brains to remember where the pilot screws go. Sorry.
Better eyes to go with your glasses! That's funny stuff!
Meh, we all have bone-head moments... see one of the last posts on my Phase 2 thread, like third from the last, talk about bone-head moments! I'm not qualified to go back out to my garage again just yet!!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 PM

alright sorry I been leaving you guys hanging haha. I just started my second year of college this past monday, but I finally got around to it and ordered that complete set for $120. I figured it would be in my favor to have a pretty much complete and a complete set to work with, rather then a complete, but "boogered" (as you all like to say), and incomplete set. Hopefully no one was confused by my terrible sentence structuring
Anyway I am looking at next thursday for everything to be in. So next weekend I will be ceramic coating my headers, exhaust can,and possibly midpipe. I might also shorty my pipe but I havent decided yet. I will also be putting in the new carbs and attempting to tune them. I understand the little screw adjustments and I am researching on carb syncing. Shop I went to wants $250 for a carb service which is just stupid to me.

I was just wondering if you guys know where to pick up those tools to adjust the pilot jet screws?
Does anybody have an opinion on the homemade sync tool made with clear tubing and atf? I know there is a bunch of writing about it and I have been reading it! I was just wondering if there is any updates on possible dangers with using the atf method vs. a gauge. Last thing I want is a bunch of atf getting sucked into my new carbs and having to buy another set.....

thanks again to the guys sticking around and helping me out (you know who you are).
Once I start the work I will take pictures and videos of before after and during. (pipes and carbs). hopefully then you will at least have a little bit of entertainment out of this.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Factory Pro includes the special tool for the D-shaped screw heads, in their jet kits, but they also sell it separately - call them at 800-869-0497 - I'm thinking it's under $10, but I'm not certain.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM

hmmm jet kit
hahah nah too much to do all at once! I will call them tomorrow and see if they have that tool, thanks.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 AM

When you talk to them, post up how much the tool is, and the shipping cost, if you wouldn't mind - since I know they have the tool available, I've advised folks to seek it out from them, and I'm just curious how much they want for it.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM

factory pro wanted $15 plus shipping for the tool. The shipping online is $12 nation-wide, and on the phone I was told they could ship it for something like $5. I am still looking for a cheaper tool. I should also mention that is only for the bit; not the entire screw driver or whatever it is they give you with the kits.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not too terribly bad I don't guess. If you happen to have one of those finger drivers, like

its not too hard to turn the bit when the carbs are installed. The motion pro bit itself is only 2.99 from jetsrus.com not sure about shipping though, its here.

If your looking for other more um, mcguyver ways, I've read .223 shell slightly flattened on one side works, I just took a piece of copper tubing I had left over from an ice maker installation and flattened a side of it, worked perfect and was free, thats two wins in my book

Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM

thanks man, what I ended up doing was backing them out with a bent retainer clip and then I put a slot in each of them so I can use a flat head screw driver. Took like half an hour to do it but it wasn't that bad.

I looked for a casing but the only ones I found around the house were too big.

Also I just installed the carbs today. It took a while to get everything cleaned and swapped over, but now the set I bought is pretty much brand new.

When I adjusted the pilot adjustment screw on each caarb i took it out 2.75 turns because I have a high flow k&n air filter (don't know if that really makes a difference but i hear it does), and an aftermarket exhaust that I cut into a shorty.

I ran into a problem! When I started the bike it was running but I could tell that it sounded weird. BUT when I looked under the tank the petcock was spitting out fuel everywhere! This did not happen before I changed the carbs.

Is it possible that the carbs are out of sync and number one cylinder is pulling too hard on the vacuum petcock?

Did i go too far by adjusting the screws 2.75 turns out?

thanks for any help guys

Quick Reply: high idle problem