F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

HELP!!! Fuel Screws?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! Fuel Screws?

One of my fuel screws wont turn. WTF! I pulled my carbs to clean and check stuff. I couldnt remember what size jets are in there and how many turns the fuel screws were turned out. The 3 on the right turn but the far left one wont budge. I put some muscle into it also. I'm sure they're all turned out 2 turns and I'm only trying to loosen the one that wont turn. Should I try to turn it the other way just to break it loose? I dont wont to "F" nothing up. I slotted them years ago. What about a small chisel and try tapping it loose? I slotted them both ways like a cross. Maybe drill a little dimple in the middle so I could try a phillips screw driver instead of a flat one. Why would it not turn in the first place? What the hell. HELP!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Right now the carbs are upside down and I sprayed some WD-40 in there hoping it will seap down in there and allow it to be turned. Are they solid, how far could I drill into it, fractions of an inch I would assume. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try taking your flat blade screwdriver and tapping it with a hammer straight on to the screw while turning. You're trying to imitate an impact wrench. Don't hit hard. I think you should be able to turn the screw inward to try to loosen it. I'm guessing the bike ran, so you probably didn't bottom the screw out and jam it in. Maybe ethanol in the gas broke down and made some water that has corroded the tip of the pilot screw.

If you can find the pilot opening in the carb throat, you may be able to get some WD down to the other side of the screw. Good luck

Old 07-18-2013, 03:07 AM

Just got home from work, had plenty of time to think about it. Yes the bike runs, this past weekend 2 track days at summit point, had a blast, did my fastest lap times. Anyway, If I take a dremel and re-slot the slots a little deeper, I should be good to go. Thanks for chiming in "gpfan1". I doubt ethenal did it. My tank is always full, always, and if it sits for a while I siphon it out, run the old gas in the "work car" and fresh fuel goes in the bike then run for a few minutes. And the other screws are 2 turns out, so I know this stuck one is two turns out also.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 07-18-2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Well I reslotted with the dremel. Still wont turn. Now what do I do. What in the hell could keep it from turning.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched other bike websites and the remedy for this seems to be to heat the body of the carb to make it expand slightly. Some used hot water, paint stripper guns. They also used multiple applications of penetrating oil/WD40. Ultimately, each one said big turning with superhuman strength was the deciding factor in getting it out. Attempting to drill out and use an easy out failed every time. Sometimes the easy out cracked the carb body. Brass can corrode, and it is very fine compared to say, rust. Keep on with the WD and wack the screwdriver into the slot to try to shock the screw loose. I've had WD screws take up to 5 days of soaking/wacking to free up. Keep the slot as deep as you can and use the tightest fitting screwdriver blade. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 AM

Thanks "gpfan1". Stopped by a custom bike and hot rod shop, no luck. They just looked at it and told I was screwed. Waste of time, I kind of figured that before I got there. I'm going to reslot it one more time and let it soak with pb blaster and wd for a couple days. I also thought since the dremel slot is deeper in the middle than it is on the edges, if I rounded my screwdriver a little I would have more screwdriver grabbing the slot. I'm tempted not to mess with it since I'm sure its 2 turns out just like the other 3 and the bike runs great, it just bugs the crap out of me that it wont turn. I'll keep undateing as I go. Thanks for the research and tips. I cant believe JNS hasnt chimed in yet. lol . I wonder if he still has that set of carbs for sale. lol

Last edited by coalminer frank; 07-20-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: add stuff
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Thanks "gpfan1". Stopped by a custom bike and hot rod shop, no luck. They just looked at it and told I was screwed. Waste of time, I kind of figured that before I got there. I'm going to reslot it one more time and let it soak with pb blaster and wd for a couple days. I also thought since the dremel slot is deeper in the middle than it is on the edges, if I rounded my screwdriver a little I would have more screwdriver grabbing the slot. I'm tempted not to mess with it since I'm sure its 2 turns out just like the other 3 and the bike runs great, it just bugs the crap out of me that it wont turn. I'll keep undateing as I go. Thanks for the research and tips. I cant believe JNS hasnt chimed in yet. lol . I wonder if he still has that set of carbs for sale. lol
when your done... send them to me

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Thanks for the research and tips. I cant believe JNS hasnt chimed in yet. lol . I wonder if he still has that set of carbs for sale. lol
Chime!!

I had read the first post or two in the thread, around the time you first created it, but for some reason, didn't notice all the new activity - anyway, I guess I figured since you were sure they were set correctly, and things were running right, you weren't too concerned about getting the screw out again... I say "again", because you did have this thing completely apart before, right?
If so, it sure seems strange that you're having all of this difficulty now.

gpfan1's got you going in the right direction: regular soaking with penetrating spray, light taps with a ball peen hammer while trying to turn out the screw, and heat to the body is helpful - brute force is good, so long as you've got a nice match between slot and blade, which gpfan1 also alluded to.

Is there any chance at all that this screw got some debris of some sort in the threads, when you were putting it in? Regardless, it still seems very odd, that this thing is stuck so badly, unless maybe it's cross-threaded, but from my experience, that would seem to be a hard screw to get cross-threaded.

Give us a pic of the screw.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 AM

I gave up for right now. Track day this weekend. The bike runs fine, more than fine, it runs great, and I ride an 08 cbr 1k on the street and I STILL think the old F2 runs great. But anyway, the brass just pops away when the screw driver is turned, thats how much *** I'm putting into it. Yes, they were removed before and screwed in and out etc. Squale147 is going to hook me up, he's not too far from me. Anyway thanks for the replys and suggestions. Hey JNS what kind of life you get out of those dunlop slicks and psi recommendations.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Fuel Screws?