F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

fox twin clicker installed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011 | 07:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by Avalon
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I was wondering if you still had the F4i set up laying around. If so, I would definitely be interested.

Thanks!
Sorry, it went to a new home back when these posts were made.

Old 10-25-2011 | 12:10 PM

Just saw this again. Did you ever get your front forks built to match the rear?

An imbalanced suspension will do weird ****. I had my suspension rebuilt by SDS performance with GP Internals (fancy fancy stuff!) and while it improved the front end a ton, the rear was softer and imbalanced the suspension, which made the bike do all kinds of weird **** on the track due to an imbalanced suspension.

You'll definitely want to build your front end to match.

Also, keep in mind street settings versus track. Tracks are far smoother and have far less to deal with in terms of choppy terrain. No potholes, very few seams, etc etc. Because of this they run less sag so they can use more of the stroke. For a street bike though you want to be further in the static/rider sag so your bike can rebound to the ground going away from you (sudden change in pavement height, etc) and keep your wheel back down for traction with slight pavement changes. This is why free sag is so important, and why you eventually hit the point where upping the preload past the point where there is free sag is bad, as you completely remove the ability to handle the pavement moving away from you. The suspension is fully unloaded, and now the pavement is gone, so you just lost all of your traction.

I bet you already knew this, but maybe some one else reading this doesn't, so I'll share anyways

Old 10-25-2011 | 01:37 PM
|

I upgraded to 94 forks and racetech springs, & 15 wt oil to help control rebound.

Once I set sag and did a little fine tuning it was nice....for about 2 months and the right fork seals went on me. Rebound has gone to poo, but the bike has gotten limited ride time the last couple months due to both the fork and having my first kid on the way, lots of getting ready going on keeping me from wrenching. New seals are sitting on the workbench waiting on some free time.

Old 10-26-2011 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Sorry, it went to a new home back when these posts were made.
Okay thanks anyway