F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Experts please help me and my f2

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Experts please help me and my f2

Okay, this year I bought a 1994 Honda CBR 600 F2. When I first got the thing it ran great with no problems. Now for no real reason it sometimes wants to give me no power when I hit the throttle and it will die on me. I'll pull over, restart it and then it will work for a little bit longer. I do not know why it does this.

Also, the previous owner took the cooling fan off. After I ride for about 10-15 mins, the temp gauge goes to almost red and is almost unbearable to ride because it burns my legs and rear end. My coolant tank had fluid in it, I changed the oil today and I put some stabilizer in with the last tank of gas.

The next question I have it when I start the bike up, it sounds great. After about 5 minutes it makes this constant chattering noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine somewhere. It is consistent and is in perfect time over and over. I don't understand why it does this. I really need help guys.

This bike sat for 2 years unridden before I bought it. Can anyone please give me some insight on why all of this happens? Basically I need to know how to make the bike run cooler, need to know how to fix this chattering noise, and don't understand why it will randomly just lose power and die. Could the fan be a big issue? Could it be the thermostat? Could it be a coolant system problem? A carburetor problem? Please help?

Thanks,
Jarod

Last edited by jvalentine86; 08-07-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a cooling system issue, the fan is the least of it. In normal riding it shouldn't get that hot that fast. My temps never come up that high, and the fan doesn't come on til past the halfway mark on the gauge.

First things first - just cause there's water in the overflow tank doesn't mean there's water in the radiator. Have you checked that there's actually fluid in the radiator?

It sounds like you aren't circulating water around the engine/radiator.

First thing, do a full system flush - drain the coolant into a pan you can see the fluid in. You want to check the coolant for traces of oil.

If the coolant checks out fine, pull the waterpump and check it - make sure the blades look fine. Anything not looking good needs to be replaced.

While you have the system apart, pour water in the top of the radiator, make sure it flows through well, and what comes out the bottom is clean and has no trash in it. If not, take it to a radiator shop to be hot tanked and tested.

I think that you're going to find a problem somewhere in this that needs to be fixed.

If not , button it back up and refill - add some Royal Purple Purple Ice or Redline Water Wetter, and see if anything is better for you.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to check the thermostat out properly too - I forgot to mention that.

The chattering could be lots of things - what side of the motor does it come from, is it in neutral or only in gear. Does it go away with RPM?

Might be a CCT issue - can tell better if you let us know where the sound is and how it acts.

The sudden loss of power could be associated with the overheating - the electronics might be kicking the bike into a "limp mode" or something to preserve the engine.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM

^ Do all of the above to check your cooling. Something isn't right with your radiator or water pump or it's just empty.

Chattering is more than likely the CCT. There are stickies on this forum about it.

Fix those and then see if it keeps dieing out on you. There are no electronics that could send it into limp mode. It is self sustaining, if there is power to fire the spark plugs and correct fuel the engine will run. No ECU to control it here.

Are you sure you're not running low on gas when the bike starts to die out?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:13 PM

+1 to all of the above. Check the cooling system as it's not right, and switch to a manual CCT.