1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Oh, you experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh, you experts

I have to admit, I'm almost 40 years old ( few months to go and i have to say MAN I LOVE MY RR. One thing I hae never done is mod them out and by the looks of all the post it appears that new pipe is first, I'm sure its based on each person but any suggestions as to order in which I shold MOD out, Here are my initial priorities

YOSH R5 slip on at my 600mile check-up ( going to have the dealer do it, they will charge me about $450 + $60 labor)

then Powercommander?

sound about normal

The result I'm looking for is all the horsepower I can get first. Let me know if I'm off base or should persue another plan of attack

Thanks moto-buddies

Old 06-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Default RE: Oh, you experts

Thats what i did first...and I love the sound of an rs5 on a 1000...kinda gives it the sound of a twin, kinda, sorta, no, well, yeah to some degree, IMO its might. LOL kiddin...thats what i have on mine and myself included everyone seems to love how it sounds.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM

here's the scoop on the RS5....if you are going to go with a full pipe, then you will have to have a powercommander (or other unit); if you go with the slip on, you do not need one. The 06 1krr already runs rich enough at the stock setting to work well with the slip, and an air filter. I am assuming based on the price, you are talking about the slip on. You can still do a powercommander if you want, but from what my dealer has said, the map is not any different than stock, so kind of a waste of money unless you are doing additional upgrades later, and you can always add one then. Keep in mind, slip on's don't do a lot for power, more for looks and sound, a full exhaust, aftermarket filter and powercommander are, for most people, the three most basic power upgrades. Its great to hear from someone who's my age, i will be 42 in august and completely love my RR....I think I appreciate it more now than I did when I was younger, I know I can be afford to have an expensive toy now!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM

I gotta say that I love my RR too, man. I'm 39 1/2 and my wife is calling this my mid-life crisis. I say back to her that if I were any younger I wouldn't have enough sense to handle something this powerful. It probably takes a little maturity to fully appreciate what we've got. Okay, it's still a mid-life crisis.

I've got an '06 1000RR and all I've done so far is buy full leathers (2 pc), a nice helmet, gloves, and then due to a big trip I went on, I got a Throttlemeister throttle lock and some tail and saddle bags. I'll be heading to a track sometime this summer to get a better handle on my skills too. I'm still learning to appreciate the power that I've got before I unload on hop-ups, but your choices are good ones. I wouldn't be suprised if I head down that same route sometime next year when I'm looking for a little more fling 'n bling.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang -- all you old farts riding 1kRRs I'm rapidly approaching the 40 year mark myself -- just doesn't seem possible ...

My first mod to the 1kRR was 2Bros pipe and fender eliminator. Hated that ugly "wing" thing that the snail eye blinkers were mounted too. Oh, installed integrated rear blinks at the same time.

When doing mods I try to hit one area hard at the same time ... keeps me from having to take apart the same section 5 different times. So like I mentioned I did pipe, blinks, fender all at once.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM

I'm 42 with 3 sportbikes which are a 2000 CBR1100XX (51,000miles) 02 CBR954 (29,000) and a new 1kRR at first service. I still have all 3 and believe in keeping the cobwebs blown out of them.

When people say something abouut my age I just tell them I am in my second puberty stage.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:54 PM

I'll be 48 in the fall.... when you young pups catch up, lemme know.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I'll be 48 in the fall.... when you young pups catch up, lemme know.
... AND you're fat, eh? ha ha ha

Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Joel

I have to admit, I'm almost 40 years old ( few months to go and i have to say MAN I LOVE MY RR. One thing I hae never done is mod them out and by the looks of all the post it appears that new pipe is first, I'm sure its based on each person but any suggestions as to order in which I shold MOD out, Here are my initial priorities
YOSH R5 slip on at my 600mile check-up ( going to have the dealer do it, they will charge me about $450 + $60 labor)
then Powercommander?
sound about normal
The result I'm looking for is all the horsepower I can get first. Let me know if I'm off base or should persue another plan of attack
Thanks moto-buddies
As someone mentioned in a reply to your post, if you get a full system then you'll want to get the power commander and pipe together along with a custom map. If you go with a slip-on then you won't.

Now this is just my opinion, but this bike has plenty of power and unless you're planning to do track days you won't really do most of your riding in the highest RPM's (which is where the full system will benefit most). In my opinoin, I would suggest thinking about just getting a slip-on pipe and spending the extra money on improving your suspension.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 AM

if you are looking for all the HP you can get then dont start off with a slip on.. go with a full system. you can get a nice akrapovic for around 900.. if you arent overly concerened with extra power than do the slip on but dont waste your money on the PC3.. you wont need it with the slip on. the bike is filthy rich stock.. good luck..

Quick Reply: Oh, you experts