F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Dripping Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dripping Carbs

started her up (thank god) and noticed my 2 right carbs are dripping gas. it seems to be dripping out the float drains (which are tightened ). do you think its a gasket issue. I didnt change the gaskets after I removed them for a cleaning but they looked fine. Could this be something else besides gaskets ?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

also might I add that for some reason the throttle was sticking. not like that actually throttle cable or the throttle unit on the carbs. but Id snap it back manually and I can see the throttle slamming back down on the carbs. but the engine sounds like its slowing release the throttle

Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 PM

You mean it's dripping out bottom of bowl? First make sure it isn't running down side of bowl. If it isn't, it's the Oring on end of that drain screw or you have trash in there stopping it from sealing. On the throttle thing, the throttle is snapping shut but rpm's are taking their time getting back to idle? Is that correct? That's a lean condition making tach needle take it's time getting back down. If you rev it up, does it momentarily stop then slowly drop? Tale tale sign of leanage. Have you changed anything to the bike? Are carbs properly sealed in their boot and airbox sealed tight to carbs?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Okay read your post again where you took them off for cleaning. Did you remove fuel screws? (you should've for proper cleaning). Did you make sure you turned them out right amount of turns?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM

ok cleaning :Thorough, Everything was removed and i seperated the carbs for individual baths note that i removed all the rubber.i put the mixture screw at 2 out. (needles are 2nd from top. 38s pilot, and I dont know what my mains are because they are scratched up ..weird the previous owner doesnt know anything about bikes so i couldnt ask him the size either) and you're correct about the snapping and idle taking its time

Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Start with the obvious culprits, airbox sealed, leaks around the boots. What mods are done to bike and what are stock settings?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:34 AM

I have the same problem. The float bowl gaskets become flat over time and dont seal correctly if they have been on there forever like mine have. The only way they are sold is in the set with 1 other gasket, and 3 other o-rings (1 for the drain screw). The cheapest I found them was $19.96 before shipping x 4...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM

when my dirt bike carb starts dripping it was a stuck float, so I got a hammer and hit the carb until it stopped. . . . no duck tape required

Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM

You think I can just use gasket maker for this ?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by C Average
You think I can just use gasket maker for this ?

***NO*** If even the tiniest bit of that drips off into the bowl, it WILL clog your jet, and then you're tearing it all apart again.

Quick Reply: Dripping Carbs