F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Cylinders 1 & 2 dead at Idle on 91 F2

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinders 1 & 2 dead at Idle on 91 F2

Sure hope someone can help me out with this. At idle my number 1&2 cylinders are dead. I found this out by starting the bike and kept it running at idle for a couple seconds, shut it off and touched the header pipes. 1&2 were cold and 3&4 were hot. If I get it to start and instantly start to rev it up they ( 1&2) come alive around 5000 RPM. Below that there is nothing. Prior to sitting for to long and the fuel going bad, this bike ran great. There has been a few times throughout this process when it started right up and ran good like nothing was wrong for a few minutes then right down hill again.
Things done so far:
1. Changes Plugs and verified spark. Although I have no way to quantify if it's weak or not.
2.Cleaned the carbs repetedly with carb cleaner, air and by running a small copper wire gently through the various passages to make sure they're clear. Even used the carb cleaning guide thats posted in this forum forum this last time to make sure that I was doing everything I should be.
3. Verified all hoses are connected as they should be.
4. Verified the plug wires are in the right positions and all electrical connections are secure.
5. Fresh fuel with Sea Foam just in case.
6. Verified good vacuum at each carb.

It acts like I'm not getting any fuel to the 2 problem cylinders at start up. but after 7 cleanings I don't know what I'm missing....
I appreciate any help anyone can offer. I've hit a wall and short of starting to throw $ and new parts at it hoping I get lucky, don't know what else to do.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 AM

Idle circuit on those cylinders are still plugged. You're getting the main jets around 5000 plus rpms.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As gpfan1 said, it sounds like your pilot circuit still has issues, as at around 5000RPM, your fueling shifts from the pilot circuit to the needle jet circuit, and is then metered by the main jet at around 7000RPM, roughly.

I know you mentioned cleaning the carbs, but you didn't mention if you removed the jets for soaking (pilot, main, needle jet), and I'm also curious as to whether or not you removed the four fuel screws, to clean there as well - these are the screws with the D-shaped heads, that have the small O-ring, washer, and spring, on each screw, and are used to adjust the operation of the pilot jet.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Registered Users

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I've currently got all the removeable jets soaking in carb cleaner. I've also removed the 4 fuel screws mentioned and have cleaned that area with carb cleaner and air. The jet that I cant remove I've soaked with cleaner and blew air through. Using a very small piece of copper wire I've also poked every hole I can find. One thing I noticed tonight while working on them is that I can't get cleaner to come out through the 3 small holes under the butterfly no matter where I spray cleaner into. Can you tell me what those 3 holes are for and what jet they work from? I'll post an update after this stuff has soaked overnight.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kriiton
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I've currently got all the removeable jets soaking in carb cleaner. I've also removed the 4 fuel screws mentioned and have cleaned that area with carb cleaner and air. The jet that I cant remove I've soaked with cleaner and blew air through. Using a very small piece of copper wire I've also poked every hole I can find.
I meant to mention it before, but I would avoid using any wire to clean passages - carb cleaner and compressed air will do it without any risk of marring any surfaces.

Originally Posted by Kriiton
One thing I noticed tonight while working on them is that I can't get cleaner to come out through the 3 small holes under the butterfly no matter where I spray cleaner into. Can you tell me what those 3 holes are for and what jet they work from?
Those holes flow from... wait for it.... yup, you guessed it - the pilot circiut!! This is the circuit gpfan and I suggested would be the likely cause of your problem.
You've got the pilot jets out, so keep putting carb cleaner through the passages you pulled the pilot jets from, let it sit, blow with compressed air, and repeat, until you can see carb cleaner and air coming out of all three holes in each carb throat.