F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

clutch friction point moves?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch friction point moves?

Hey all , the past several weeks I've been riding in temps in the mid 40's, but we had a couple of upper 60's days last week.

One thing I noticed is that on a warmer day, and my temp gauge actually shows a little more heat in the motor (not quite getting to half way if I'm in stop-n-go traffic.) The take-up point in my clutch lever throw seems to move further toward completely out when the bike warms up.

The clutch itself doesn't seem to be having any trouble - I left a redlight and shifted to second very low in the RPM range (<10 mph) - grabbed a handful of throttle on a long empty stretch of road and the bike pulled clean up to 9-10K without ever feeling like it was slipping, shifted to 3rd and let it pull all the way back to 10K again - still no feeling like it's slipping.

My cable adjuster at the lever is backed out pretty far - and at the crank case appears that slack has been taken up there as well. It was that way when I bought the bike. I have a replacement cable, but never put it on since the one that is on the bike seemed ok.

Time to slap the new cable on?