F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Bront brake dragging pretty hard

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bront brake dragging pretty hard

I noticed recently that my recently acquired F2 is a bit of a pain to push around. I originally chalked it up to it being a much heavier bike than I am used to, that is until I took it in to have the rear tire replaced pre-inspection. The tech advised me that the brakes pads all around were shot (not a surprise as the bike sat for a few years in a damp environment) so I had him replace those as well. The pads had rusted to the point that they had begun to separate from the backings and were causing friction on the rotors. Unfortunately replacing the pads did little to stop the drag.

So after some expensive shop diagnostic time, testing the calipers, bleeding the fluid, checking the fork tightness and making sure the rotors weren't warped, they have no idea what is causing it..

The drag is constant and seems to be from one caliper in front. When off the ground i can only get about 3/4 turn from the tire when i spin it. Any ideas as to what might be causing it? they aren't singularly adjustable or anything are they?

Thanks in advance!

J-

Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have a piston sticking. Why the shop didn't suggest this is beyond me. Try removing the suspect caliper and pushing the piston back in. If it goes smoothly then place something the width of the rotor between it and try applying brakes while watching the pistons. They should extend relatively evenly. If not, may be time for a caliper rebuild. Those are not as difficult as they sound.