F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

BEST Rectifier for F2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEST Rectifier for F2?

I tried getting help in the most popular thread relating to R/R problems, but it's either dead or people aren't responding. And I think F2 owners deserve more specifics on EXACTLY which rectifier is the most reliable, has longest life and BEHAVES closest to the OEM R/R in the F2:

I bought the popular cheap octogonal shaped R/R (china) from ebay and put on my F2. Do a search, you'll see it. They can be had for as little as $20. The other day I was on a joyride and the bike lost all power, almost instantly. Tried to start again and battery was nearly dead. If it was the R/R, it lasted maybe a tad over 2000 miles. Is there anyone with this particular r/r who's put more than 3 or 4 thousand miles on it? Starter just made that classic clicking noise when battery is nearly depleted. Question is, did the bike stop because the battery was depleated or because the r/r failed? When I got it towed to the garage, I installed the 2nd backup R/R smartly bought out of paranoia (similar or same model, just silver metallic color). Put the battery on the Tender, let charge for about 30 minutes and it fired right up. And been running as normal for 40+ miles. Funny thing is that the rectifier never seemed to get very hot as it is really a great design and there was no burning smell or carbon from the R/R, plug or wires whatsoever. If the problem was the rectifier, I can only assume that it's the poor electronics inside the r/r and not necessarily excessive heat. My main question is what YEAR gsx rectifier works the BEST or behaves closest to what the factory F2 R/R behaves. Like the amount of charge at idle and on up to 5000 RPM. Suzuki made a lot of style bikes with a lot of different style parts and people keep saying get a gsx 600rr Rectifier. Which one!!???? I've heard of small issues of different make rectifiers used in the F2, like lights getting brighter with higher rpm. I wan't the rectifier that won't get me stranded on a 1000 mile trip in hot weather, but is also the most compatible with my F2. Or there may be another brand that is considered superior.

Last edited by outsider; 07-17-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the R&R sticky there is a write up on how to test the R&R and electric components relating to it using a multimeter. You can read the currents and determine where your problem is.

Personally I bought a 2003 GSXR 1000 R&R of ebay. wired and soldered it up. I maybe have put 500 miles on it, but it has been working great.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Artie Rivera
In the R&R sticky there is a write up on how to test the R&R and electric components relating to it using a multimeter. You can read the currents and determine where your problem is.

Personally I bought a 2003 GSXR 1000 R&R of ebay. wired and soldered it up. I maybe have put 500 miles on it, but it has been working great.
Dude, I know how to test the R/R. I've already determined that was the problem. The idea is getting people's advice and experience in order to pinpoint which R/R works best in the F2.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outsider
Question is, did the bike stop because the battery was depleated or because the r/r failed?
Only reason I mentioned the testing of the R&R is cuz you asked.....

I have heard no complaints about the GSXR R&R's which is why I went with that one.