F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Bad R/R resulting in bad RPM Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad R/R resulting in bad RPM Gauge?

Hi all,

I had just purchased a 1994 CBR F2 yesterday. I haven't done any research and did not know what I was getting into until I had some time to to google everything today and speak with couple of my friends. The bike runs and rides in perfect condition. Shifts like butter, ect... ect...

However, when I had purchased the bike, the previous owner informed me the RPM gauge doesn't work. I figured it was an easy fix, but when I had spoken to my friend, it could be a more serious problem.

I brought this issue up to my friend because towards the end of the day, my battery had died. I had jump started it with a cable pack and would die the second I hit the clutch or the brakes. Sometimes if I didn't touch anything. I'm able to keep the bike running as long as the bikes above ~3k.
Anyways, I had ordered a 2003 gsxr r/r early this morning and should be in about a week or so.

I'm kinda worried about what my friend said about "total meltdown".
I'd like to have your second opinion.

See below for my friends response:

I would replace sooner than later or you'll be damaging the whole electrical system and need to trace every wire, replace the stator, etc. The second the turn signals act funny, turn the bike off - that's the first sign before total meltdown. I also would not recommend jump starting your bike with the car running.

When riding, just watch for erratic turn signal or gauge activity (like speedo dying) - that's how you know it is about to die.

**End Quote