F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Anyone had this happen!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had this happen!?

I was riding my bike around town yesterday and I heard this huge bang (sounded like a backfire) so I checked behind me to see if something was happening there and didnt' see anything. Kept looking around the bike and saw smoke coming out right under my seat where the rear of the gas tank bolts. Pulled over took my seat off and a hole blew right through the top of my battery! I got my bike home and looked at it today.

I found that some of the plastic that encases the battery was melted away! I also found the insulation of the three yellow wires coming from the regulator/rectifier were melted. I pulled the tape (what was left of it) and the wires just started crumbling. Anyone have any ideas what could have caused this? Maybe an overcurrent from the r/r? Whats weird is my main fuse never blew... I replaced the original r/r late last year with an 03 suzuki gsxr r/r. I've maybe put 400 miles on with this new (used) r/r. The three yellow wires that are running from the r/r melted on that side of the plug. The other side of the plug where the wires run most likely to the alternator are fine. What also sucks is the battery only has about 350 miles on it and there is a hole in the top of it now!

Any advice? I plan on ohming out my r/r.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all speculation on my part, but if the battery was a vented type (instead of
a sealed unit), I'm guessing it was being over-charged and a electrical spark ignited
the hydrogen gas venting off the battery, due to the over-charging.

Here's a link to a diagnostic on the charging/electrical system...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

Try repairing the harness damage and then run the tests from the link to determine
where the issue(s) need to be addressed.

Glad you're safe and didn't get splashed with acid, when it exploded. I would also
do a through rinse, to avoid corrosion from the battery acid to the bike.

Good luck, Ern
Ern

Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope never had that happen to a battery, sounds crazy. I've never seen that before either take a pic if you get a chance.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember a lot of years ago, mom went to start the family car and BANG! & smoke from under the hood.

Popped the hood to find the top of the battery had popped in a way you mention.

so yeah - I've seen it.