F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

93 cbr 600 f2 having trouble turning on

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011 | 01:06 PM
|
Default 93 cbr 600 f2 having trouble turning on

hey guys, got my 93 honda cbr 600 f2.

new battery, fuses are good and all. when i try turning it on (key turned, kill switch on, side stand up, in neutral, fuel is flowing through) the engine doesnt turn.
before, the solenoid was rusted at the connection, so i thoroughly scrubbed it off. then when i went to hit the button, i heard the engine trying to turn over, but little by little, it just stopped trying. so now when i press the button, no sound at all and the green neutral light goes dim. anyone have any ideas? thanks a lot everyone.

Old 02-18-2011 | 12:56 AM

sounds like a bad battery.. but it could also be your spark plugs arent igniting... just saying.. i had the same problem.. pull a plug an check first though.. then get your bat tested...

Old 02-18-2011 | 03:03 PM
|

batterys been tested, and its good. so how do i check my spark plugs?

Old 02-18-2011 | 03:38 PM

Really sounds like a drained battery. How was it tested?

Did the bike start fine before you did the cleaning of the solenoid terminals? If it did, the plugs aren't likely the cause of your problem. To check the plugs, you can remove one, connect it to its wire and ground the plug to the engine. When you try and start the bike, you should see a nice spark from the plug.

Old 02-19-2011 | 01:53 AM
|

well the batterys new, and tested with a voltmeter to double check. before i cleaned the rust off the posts on the solenoid, the lights and electrics wouldnt turn on. also, when push started, the bike wouldnt run properly, lost power. then when i cleaned it, all the lights came on and when i push started it, it had its power back. but like i said, when i went to hit the button, i heard the engine trying to turn over, but little by little, it just stopped trying

Old 02-19-2011 | 05:17 AM

How many volts did you read? Do you have any means of jump-starting it? Still sounds like the battery is drained, especially when you can push-start it and when it's "trying to turn over, but little by little, it just stopped trying".

Old 02-21-2011 | 01:12 AM
|

i got 12.4 volts. right now i dont have any means of jump-starting it

Old 02-21-2011 | 09:06 AM

Turn over = no sound. Is this correct? The engine literally is not moving? Many people say there engine isn't turning over, yet it is turning, just not firing.

If it is not turning over with a new battery I would guess that the starter motor is shot. Before replacing one of those, Id see if you can turn the crank by hand, to make sure something has not seized inside the engine.

If it is turning over, but not firing, then check for spark.

Edit: check the wires TO the starter for corrosion as well.

Edit 2: just read the whole thread, don't worry about the engine crank thing, didn't realize that it was moving at some point. Yeah, if the battery is reading good voltage, then check the wires to the starter. I am not sure if a starter can go partially bad, but there isn't many problems you could have at this point. Its either a weak battery, junk wires to the starter, or the starter is weak (if possible)

Last edited by Dissevered; 02-21-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2011 | 08:01 PM
|

yea when i click the button, no sound at all, no sign of it trying anymore, only thing is the neutral light does dim. i was thinking maybe the solenoid starter is rusted on the inside too? since the posts were rusted, going to try to clean the inside. also, going to check the wires, i cleaned those last time but i heard if the wires are "crunchy" then they are no good

Old 02-24-2011 | 02:01 AM

dude thats def a low battery.. but also check your cables that connect to the starter toggle.. i had the same problem with mine after my accident and it turned out to be a clipped wire.. so check your wiring harness leading up to that point its on the right side of the bike next to the handel bars. .. but to comment on earlier you have to get through them through the spark plug caps there orange right by the fan in the front... youll need a 5/8 deep socket to get em.. have fun.. i got scrapped knuckles for days when i changed mine..

Quick Reply: 93 cbr 600 f2 having trouble turning on