F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1st start up and im a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011 | 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by pdcbrf2
I did pull one of my plugs the other day because I decided to replace them. I am not great at reading them so ill check some post out and see what I can come up with. I think your right because it was dark. Is the only way to change that to dig into the carb? Sorry so many "dumb" questions still getting used to doing this
Unless you have the D shaped long driver tool to adjust pilots with the carbs on, you will need to take them off at least, but no point in not cleaning them and checking them out while they are off. Check the sticky on carb cleaning.

If for some reason you feel its out of your league feel free to ship them to me, or even take a ride over. I live in pittsburgh so I am not too far from you.

Old 03-19-2011 | 09:25 PM
|

Yeah ill take another look when I checked the plug I hadent really ran the bike yet. Ill get it going and check the plug and then make a decision from there. I have a friend that lives in Pitt so maybe ill make it a weekend trip or something

Old 03-19-2011 | 10:19 PM

Yeah ill take another look when I checked the plug I hadent really ran the bike yet. Ill get it going and check the plug and then make a decision from there. I have a friend that lives in Pitt so maybe ill make it a weekend trip or something
K, send me a pm if you decide you want to head out this way. If your plugs are dark then they are probably fouled or close to it so you will need a new set of those. Just don't foul new ones all over again. Make sure you fix the reason why they foul.

Old 03-20-2011 | 12:35 PM
|

will going from standard NGk plugs to their iridium plugs make a difference?

Old 03-20-2011 | 06:27 PM

They might make a tiny difference in fuel efficiency that you wouldn't notice unless you had a controlled experimental environment. They last longer, that is for sure, but any bit of poor air/fuel mix will foul even iridium plugs. However, they won't solve your problem.

Old 03-20-2011 | 07:15 PM
|

im gonna post some pics of my plugs i pulled today if i can figure it out just to make sure im running rich

Old 03-20-2011 | 08:11 PM
|

so here is a couple pictures let me know what you guys think

Attached Thumbnails 1st start up and im a little worried-100_0149_00.jpg   1st start up and im a little worried-100_0150_00.jpg   1st start up and im a little worried-100_0151_00.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011 | 10:18 PM
|

looked at your carb clean and tune dissevered and think im gonaa give it a go my only question is that if im running rich, from the pics of the plugs i think i am, which way do i turn the pilot screw to lean it out. P.S didnt go all the way through it as i didnt have time so if you answered that in their sorry

Old 03-21-2011 | 01:43 AM

yea those are definately running rich cause of how dark they are.. your gonna wanna clean your carb and do a tune up as well so you can make sure you arent running to rich....

Old 03-21-2011 | 07:58 AM

looked at your carb clean and tune dissevered and think im gonaa give it a go my only question is that if im running rich, from the pics of the plugs i think i am, which way do i turn the pilot screw to lean it out. P.S didnt go all the way through it as i didnt have time so if you answered that in their sorry
clock wise to reduce fuel

also, while you are in there, check the jet needles to see if you have a jet kit. Those are adjustable as well.

Quick Reply: 1st start up and im a little worried