F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1993 CBR F2 Wont start after lowside

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 CBR F2 Wont start after lowside

So i was at work and it started to snow. i left as soon as i could but wasn't fast enough. the last 2 blocks home from an 8 mile ride was a hill where i crashed. i was going about 10 mph and at first it low-sided on the left side , slid down a bit, flipped to the right, and then left again. all while this happened i slid down the snowy hill and the bike was running. i ran up as fast as i could and without thinking grabbed it by the handlebars and tried to pick it up. that lead to a high rev and then i shut it off and picked it up . i got it into neutral and walked it home. i bought all the parts i found damage to, not to much, and am still waiting on them to arrive. I have tried to get it started but it wont fire. i can hit the electric start and hear it crank but it wont fire. i tried opening the throttle and choke but didnt help. when i got the bike standing up right after the crash i tried to start it but only heard 1 or 2 random pops but still nothing. all help is wanted thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM
Welcome Crew

im not sure if your bike is fitted with a fuel shut off relay, if it is it may be the place to start, you could try a direct fuel feed from the tank to the carbs to see if she will fire. also after your spill (sorry to hear about it ) i know its obvious but the kill switch hasnt been turned off or the wires pulled out ect
if your getting fuel to the carbs, next to check are there sparks at the plugs,

Last edited by wheelnut; 02-13-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:02 PM

So after i got my parts it seems to have been the ignition pulse cover and now it starts up. i changed the choke cable too which helped. The problem now is that the front brakes are sticking but i already tried to bleed them but it seems they were pressed in our something. How do youseparate it or make it looser. Thanks for the help. I need a cct i believe though because it ticks there.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 AM
Welcome Crew

best thing to do would be check first everything is straight and where it should be after your spill if alls ok then whip the callipers off, give them a good clean making sure you pump the pistons out and clean them (put a bit of wood between them to stop them comming out, if one sticks hold the others in (clamps or wood) pump the brake and release that piston, copper slip the pins and retainers and put back on.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 PM

One of my buddies who helped me change my front tire said I could take the wheel off and just clean them like that. Is that how you do it or do you remove it.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Welcome Crew

you can take the wheel out to do it, but space can be limited and you still want to get the pads out to give the pistons a good clean, but before you do any thing i would get the bike up right on the center stand or paddock stand and make sure everything is straight at the front after your spill, try to get the front wheel of the ground (if you still have the center stand get some one to sit on the pillion seat to weight it back), if the brakes are stuck on(put the front back down), put one hand on the tyre and put the other over the calliper and try to push and pull it, this may free off the brakes, do this both sides, hopefully you can rotate the wheel if this works you can check everything at the front before you go any further .
If you cant free the brakes of by hand, you will need to remove the callipers, it is not a really hard job, do you have a manual, heres a link to one Honda CBR 600 Manual - Download Free Owners Service Manual.

usually its a couple of bolts each side one top and bottom that hold the calliper to the fork leg, if they are well stuck on they may take some force to remove, alot of pulling and pushing

Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Sorry for not being to quick im here working on it. i have been walking it back and forth and continuously pumping the brakes and it has got better. The ticking is gone after a oil pan replacement and sounds like it did before. now im just trying to figure out how to loosen them a little more without cleaning it completely because i did that not to long ago. yes i have a manual.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Welcome Crew

the only way i think you can do it without cleaning it all up again, is to take the callipers off or drop the front wheel out, and lever the pads back in then pump out repeat just to make sure they are moving freely,
how does the brake lever feel, is it really hard or does it feel normal, the reason i ask is that i think there is a return a hole of some sort in the master cylinder, it may be after your spill some muck has got in this hole and the pressure wont let off (keeping the brakes on) its just a thought, but would require you to empty the resevior of fluid to check.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you checked to see if your brake lines got damaged? It doesn't take much to restrict return flow.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:47 PM

The reservoir cap with the 2 screws is damaged quite a bit it doesn't sit even. The breaks feel as normal as before .

Quick Reply: 1993 CBR F2 Wont start after lowside