F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1992 CBR F2 Carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1992 CBR F2 Carb problem

So this is kind of a spinoff of my other post. I've narrowed it down to to the carbs. After replacing the battery I cleaned the carbs. Now it won't start. Before the cleaning/battery replacement it ran fine. As it sits right now just the carbs are on the bike...no airbox/filter/gas tank. All plugs have spark (NGK's)(OEM). It will crank until the battery dies but it wont fire up....backfires when I put the choke on. I cleaned the plugs and reinstalled them....I did notice that plugs 1 and 4 were darker(slightly sooty) than 2 and 3....not sure if the numbers are factory, just the numbers i used to make sure they went back right. 1 and 4 are the outside plugs (right and left outers). Also if it helps plugs 1 and 4 are controlled by the left side coil.

What do you guys think?
Air bubble in the carb?
Should I try starting fluid(haven't done it....don't like using it)
I tried blowing into the fuel line to push any air out

1992 CBR F2: Full vance and hines exhaust, K&N filter, aftermarket rectifier, Dyno Jet Stage 1, Vortex 520 conversion, New ContiAttack tires, Airtech fairings all around, Custom Paint

Check my other thread for pics

Thanks Everyone

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

I think you may need to make sure you put the plugs wires to the correct plugs.

Also, when you cleaned the carbs, did you take every single thing apart? I realized at times there were small o-rings in places I didn't see and only after seeing one or two in my hand that I realized where they came from. I then (a few times) had to scrounge the floor to find all the small parts I accidentally dropped.

Once you clean them and have an inital factory setting, the bike *should* at least start up and run for a bit, even if it is crappy. Did you try spraying a bit of starting fluid in the cylinders? I would try that to make sure you are at least getting correct spark. Also, if you are cranking and cranking, you should notice a smell of gasoline vapor coming out the pipe in the back.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered Users

sorry i ment right coil for 1 and 4. (Was going off of memory when I posted) When i cleaned them i did't remove any of the jets...just took off the bottom covers and sprayed them with carb cleaner and the sprayed out each jet. Then took off the top covers and checked to make sure the rubber wasn't cracked or ripped. Reassembled and put them back on the engine. Filled the gas line with gas and tried to start. Nothing except the occasional backfire ( when I crank it with the choke on for a bit)

I can't figure it out...i've taken the carbs apart before, cleaned and reinstalled...never had a problem. WTF. I'm almost to the point where it might be going in to the honda shop.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Take the jets out and clean them good. I found at least one of the jets on the #1 carb were clogged pretty good on mine. One jet just needs a screwdriver toremove and the other a small socket or wrench. Super simple to do, as all you need to do is spray cleaner through them and blow out any junk with air. Hold them up to the light and make sure you see light through everything. Also, you need to make sure you didn't touch any of the screws that set the initial idle openings for the butterflies. Could be something so simple. (cutout switch?)