Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Race gas lowers performance????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race gas lowers performance????!!!!

So I went to the track (1/4 mile) the other day and my gas light was on for about ten miles when I got there. I was hoping to get there before it went on and there aren't many gas stations around. So I put a gallon of 103 octane in it and it really seemed to slow the bike down. Last year I went 10.9 @ 128 with a 1.9? 60 foot. This year I strapped it and was getting high 1.7's and couldn't break into the 10's! Has anyone had this problem???

Old 08-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was the rider that the gas. The gas wouldnt have affected it either way unless you have it timed n tuned (or other mods) to run race fuel. You mainly just wasted $$ if fuel that your bike isnt design to burn efficiently.

My guess is you were off compared to your last run.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

I ran good, like I said I was getting high 1.7 60 foots and didn't miss any gears. When I ran last year, it was only a few weeks after I had my bike so I know I can ride it better now. My friend had the same things happen to him on his GSXR750, he was running 10.1's and put race gas in and couldn't get under 10.5.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stay2ned
I ran good, like I said I was getting high 1.7 60 foots and didn't miss any gears. When I ran last year, it was only a few weeks after I had my bike so I know I can ride it better now. My friend had the same things happen to him on his GSXR750, he was running 10.1's and put race gas in and couldn't get under 10.5.
the race gas shouldnt have had any ill affects tho. Not knocking ya or nutting but if you only drag it once a year how you getting better at it? Riding the street and drag racing are two different things. Oh environmentals play a part too. It could have been cooler last year, track condition may have been different etc, etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM

I thought the same thing, but it was a cool day and last year was in the middle of summer. And the reason I feel better on my bike is because i've raced it on the street and know how to launch it better than I did last year. That 10.9 run was a 1.9 60 foot.

Check this out, chainstretcher makes sense.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600rr-12/turbo-blue-100009/

Old 08-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stay2ned
I thought the same thing, but it was a cool day and last year was in the middle of summer. And the reason I feel better on my bike is because i've raced it on the street and know how to launch it better than I did last year. That 10.9 run was a 1.9 60 foot.

Check this out, chainstretcher makes sense.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100009
possible, but I still think it was another variable

Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
was the rider that the gas. The gas wouldnt have affected it either way unless you have it timed n tuned (or other mods) to run race fuel. You mainly just wasted $$ if fuel that your bike isnt design to burn efficiently.

My guess is you were off compared to your last run.

definately gotta have it tuned for high octane.... just go back week after week with the right gas and it strapped down and race. Dont worry about what it ran last time you were there bcuz heat of the day can make it run different than what it will run at night.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:10 PM

You all need to read up on your fuels and what octane ratings mean and do for you. Higher octanes are actually LESS powerful and therefore LESS efficient than the higher octane fuels. Higher octane fuels are for high compression engines to combat pre detonation. AKA engine knock. Go back to 93 octane and you should see an immediate improvement.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckboxx74
You all need to read up on your fuels and what octane ratings mean and do for you. Higher octanes are actually LESS powerful and therefore LESS efficient than the higher octane fuels. Higher octane fuels are for high compression engines to combat pre detonation. AKA engine knock. Go back to 93 octane and you should see an immediate improvement.

i can only read down, not up reading up is backwards

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM

yeah I know what higher octane fuel is for. I have a turbo dsm and anyone who owns a DSM knows how to work on engines, lol. I didn't think it would be too high of an octane to burn, it would probly run great on higher octane just by changing to a different spark plug. Next time I go, i'll be sure to put some gas in before I get there. I want to see a mid 10 out of it, that's why I was mad. Thanks for the replies though guys.

Quick Reply: Race gas lowers performance????!!!!