Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Launching and shifting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching and shifting!

Im going to the drag strip tomorrow and wanted some info on how I can help my launching. I road-race so I am not going to lower it or extend the swingarm or do any major mods. I was wondering if softening the rear shock would help on the launch??

Also if anyone has experience with shifting while at full throttle if you could explain the best way to shift.

I read somewhere if you
1) preload the shifter, (like you are going to cluctchless shift)
2) keep full throttle
3) just tap the clutch, (not pulling like a normal shift)
it will shift right into next gear without an problems.

I have not tried this method yet but I have tried shifting normaly while at full throttle and I pull wheelies because the rpms gain while the clutch is in. I guess the method I described helps to avoid the rpm gain inbetween shifting. I know how to clutchless shift but I dont think that would be good for the drag because you are letting off the throttle for a split second. Thanks for any input!!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 PM

ya dude i used 2 b at the strip every wednesday on my r1 and jus softening the compression and spring itself helps quite a bit for the launch, i never lowered mine either cuz it was my daily rider and wheelie monster but that an launching at 5000rpm got me from running liek a 12. sumthn my first time 2 getting into consistent 10.1's ...jus takes time bro keep going every week and u'll get faster and faster as u pick up ur own little things on launching and shifting. i jus barely blipped my throttle with no clutch and it would bang gears plenty fast for me. and it'll still wheelie from 1st to 2nd and 3rd no matter wat u do. jus lay on that tank and try 2 keep that front wheel down....

Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Do you stay on the gas when the wheel is coming up? How much does laying on the tank prevent it from flipping?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by screamingelvises
Do you stay on the gas when the wheel is coming up? How much does laying on the tank prevent it from flipping?
If you're anywhere near flipping the bike when launching it, you're doing it VERY wrong. Feather the clutch release, don't dump.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM

+1. Lifting comes from a loss of power to the rear followed by an immediate burst of it. This means you're not switching gears fast enough. It should be like a flicking, or snapping motion on the handle, not a grab or pull. The shifter should be preloaded, like its just waiting to be unlocked, so it will immediately click.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 PM

ya if you just keep rippin wheelies its cuz your dumping the clutch and not slipping it. basically you wanna ride the clutch out like when you first learn how to drive a stickshift car and your dragging the clutch out so you dont stall. same thing. and ya i just keep it pinned cuz your wheel will eventually come back down when you rev out, just lean as much weight foward as possilbe dude, practice you'll get the hang of it.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM

ive always left the line at 5000rpm leaned forward as much as possible,and just feathered the clutch out. then as far as shifting i always power shifted i never left off the throtle and never touched the clutch lever but this was on a gsxr750

Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 PM

^ same here, no reason to use the clutch jus blip and bang threw gears. best of luck to ya bro.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM

loosen the compression...not the rebound on the rear suspension and strap the front suspension so you have no fork travel. Slide as far forward onto the tank as possible, hold your rpms at 4500, wait for the last amber and slip the clutch and slowly roll the throttle wide open....then hang on...shift...enjoy..............downshift, brake remove the massive wedgy you just gave yourself when ya sucked the seat up you ***....turn around n do it all over again...the best 10 seconds you'll ever have!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dragracer237
loosen the compression...not the rebound on the rear suspension and strap the front suspension so you have no fork travel. Slide as far forward onto the tank as possible, hold your rpms at 4500, wait for the last amber and slip the clutch and slowly roll the throttle wide open....then hang on...shift...enjoy..............downshift, brake remove the massive wedgy you just gave yourself when ya sucked the seat up you ***....turn around n do it all over again...the best 10 seconds you'll ever have!!!
***** nice. I hope to take my bike to the strip sometime next year