Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

CBR954 Drag Racing at Bristol, TN

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see if I can answer all your questions.

I have the O2 sensor just after the 4-1 collector so that way I'll get a mixture of all cylinders instead of just 1.

Yes, I have a lowering link on the bike, it's sitting on a swingarm stand in the pic so it looks a bit taller. It's adjustable from 2 or 4 inch lowering link. I have it set at 2, if I go down to 4 I won't be able to load and unload the bike from my trailer. I also have the front strapped as well as the forks up through the triple. Figured I'd go as low as possible.

As bright as the launch light is, I won't have to look at it, it'll just light up and i'll def see it.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure I could use a launch master setup for a typical nhra type race. However, at a local track they do "friday night fun drags" and a few times over the summer we do a street bike shootout. With that, we're not allowed any electronics that were not organic to the bike, aside from a programmer and shifter.

Lately, the weather and my bike having charging and voltage issues has kept me off the track.
I've replaced my battery and fired the bike up. The charge voltage at the battery at 5k RPM and lights on bright, the voltage fluctuates between 11.3-12.5v. Not sure if my stator is taking a dump on me OR the regulator/rect?

I've been going through the typical checks with the plugs, R/R, voltage, resistance etc...
so far everything checks out.?????

Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Which version of the Wide Band Commander (1 or 2) do you have on your bike? I never realized they would work on our bikes. The more I read about it the more I want to get one. I like the idea of being able to monitor how my bike is running and be able to adjust it myself instead of spending hundreds on a one-time custom tune.

Does the data logging allow you to see the AFR for each RPM so you can easily adjust the map table within the PC3? Also do you have to have a display like the LCD connected to the Wide Band or can you just view the recorded info on a computer then make your changes?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM

I just purchased an original Wide Band Commander kit with analog black face gauge new on ebay for under $200. After reading more about them online I wanted this one instead of the newer Wide Band 2. This way I can get a Multi-Function Hub and LCD and have everything connected to my PC3 to monitor lots of info in real time. Can't wait to get it in and installed and start tuning on my bike.

I have a question about the data logging. I know from reading that the LCD can datalog and you just remove the sd card to get the data. Am I correct that the Wide Band unit datalogs in its memory and you are able to connect it to a laptop and retrieve the data?

Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 AM

Good work on getting the right WBC. I had to buy the WBC1 as well as the WB2 does not "talk" to the PC3.
You connect the WBC to your laptop, open the software and download your data.
It will show what the rpm's are, AFR throughout the datalog process and will display graphically at the bottom of the screen.

Yes, I do have the LCD but it wasn't exactly necessary. I ended up buying them used as a package from a guy on ebay. I basically bought the WBC and got the LCD free.
I still haven't managed to get everything connected properly and up and running.
My last outing, I had just connected everything up and my battery took a dump on me at the track.
I thought I had connected something wrong, so quickly undid all the wiring I had just run, just to find out i'm having charging issues and my old battery was bad.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by medicbaldwin
here's what my exhaust looks like.
Love that look!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 AM

thanks for the ego boost Fordhamjc

Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 AM

Backdoc, you get all of your new gadgets installed and working yet? I don't know about you, but my 929 is starting to look like i've installed a complete second wiring harness..
I've got wires going everywhere from all the crap under the back seat.
I don't see it getting better should I go with an air shifter and nitrous. My 929 WILL consistently run 9secs, one way or another.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by medicbaldwin
Backdoc, you get all of your new gadgets installed and working yet? I don't know about you, but my 929 is starting to look like i've installed a complete second wiring harness..
I've got wires going everywhere from all the crap under the back seat.
I don't see it getting better should I go with an air shifter and nitrous. My 929 WILL consistently run 9secs, one way or another.

I got the WBC on Friday. It figures once I get it that I finally get introduced to a local tuner who works out of his garage so I am not sure if I will install the WBC now. If the custom tune works out well I will probably just sell the WBC. Your mention of the wires is another reason I am unsure about installing the WBC. Dang that thing has alot of wires and I am slowly running out of room under my rear seat.

I plan to get my bike tuned then race it the way it is for the rest of this year. If I want to be consistent with my times I have to stop working on it and just ride it.

I went drag racing Friday night to a local 1/8 mile track that I had been to once last year. After a few time runs which were not consistent due the traction being too good for bikes which caused me to wheelie most of the track I entered their footbrake race. This would be my first time racing against cars too.

Got beat in 1st rd even though I had a good run. Red light in 2nd so I had to buy back again then got a lucky break in 3rd when car failed to start. In fourth car had red light so free run again. In semi's it was heads up race and I had .04 RT to car .14 RT so had him covered and was on brakes across the finish. So here I am in finals of my first race at this track. I stayed with right lane all night even though the left was the preferred and faster lane. The guy wanted to do a coin toss for lane choice. I won and picked right and he said he preferred left anyway but was going to take right lane if he won the toss just to throw me off since he knew I had figured out the right lane. Finals had him at 6.26 and me at 7.05. I had been running 6.90's but dialed down to give myself some room if I wheelied off the line. He had an .04 RT and ran a 6.23 breaking out. I had an .004 RT, wheelied bad off the line before setting it down at nearly half track and ran a 7.058 getting my first win.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:52 PM

sounds to me like your hooked!! Just my own personal opinion, i'd keep the WBC. for some reason they seem to the best kept secret for tuning, despite the fact that they've been out there for years.

I'm not sure if you've seen my post but I have to sell my bike. I'm at the point to where I return my bike to OEM and sell all the aftermarket parts. I've been thinking, I'll pull everything and make it a package deal for you.

If you're interested, i'll sell the: front strap, lowering link, swingarm extensions, braided extended brake line, whichever rear sprocket you want (+2 or +4), spare rim with shinko hook-up drag radial tire for $500 + shipping. I've already checked with FTD customs and the billet swingarm extensions are the same for the 929 and 954.

shoot me a pm and let me know

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM

What going om medicbaldwin, small world pnwriders and this are my favorit web sights.
This guy is fast on thet 929 seen it in person from behind lol.

Quick Reply: CBR954 Drag Racing at Bristol, TN