Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam clean the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steam clean the bike?

I'm thinking it can't hurt that much. Mine's got a lot of built up dirt and grime and grease. On my next wash i want to get it real clean?

Anybody ever steam clean the metal parts, just sprey the hell out of the dirt with one of them speam cleaners you see on tv? Anything to be carefull of, like the chain or something?

Thanx for your input, if i do it i'l let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Steam clean the bike?

i wouldnt think it would hurt it, i mean it is just water, no different than riding on a rainy day. just becareful of electrical.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 AM

Ditto on the elec parts. A lot of times the detail places use a chemical spray first. THey spray it on the heavy build ups and then hit it with the steam.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm, steam... it's insidious !!!!!!!! It gets into anything, there is even a remote chance to invade. I'd be real carful... seals, gaskets, bearings, paint chips. gauges, cable ends, controls, anyplace it can, it will. steam is a very small particulate, and combined w/ pressure...even light pressure... Tread carfully !!!!!!!!!! and remember to relube anything that needs it. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-06-2006, 11:45 AM

hey man, im an auto detailer (12 yrs now). i got caught in the rain last weekend and had to fully detail the cbr on monday. i wouldnt use the steam cleaner machine. as said above it will creep into electricle connections way easier than a regular hose or power washer. ill kinda give you an idea of what i do.did for my bike.

place towels to block water from getting into the dash area also around the chain (unless you need to clean/lube chain anyway). i use the same wheel cleaner on my rims as i do on the cars i detail. just be careful of the rear wheel and the chain. i also spray a mild degreaser on the lower 1/4 of the bike (only if needed). this will loosen up all the grime as well as remove any road tar and wax. rinse the bike off with a garden hose. warm water works alot better than cold water. after rinsing off the bike, wash the bike with any car soap shampoo. dawn dish soap is good, but it will remove any waxes you may have on the bike as dawn contains a mild degreasing agent. wash bike thuroughly and rinse off. then dry the bike with a chamois. then dry it again to get all the water drips. i use the same polish/paint sealant on my bike as i do on the cars i detail at my dealership (porsche/audi/land rover) i work at. 1 coat polish to get rid of any minor scuffs and 2 coats of paint sealant to give it a shine you will not beleive. removing each time with a high quality microfiber cloth so it wont scratch the painted pieces.

let me know if you need any help with this stuff.
btw, you dont need to buy honda plastic polish to do the fairings or other parts. i use regular automotive polishes and sealants. i dont use waxes. waxes wash away and yellow over time. and are generally crap except for the genuine brazilian carnubas (which are about 400.00-500.00 a lb.) i use Black Pearl polish and Black Pearl paint sealant. this is not sold in stores, only available commercially from suppliers and are 36.00 a 32 oz bottle.

here is a pick of my cbr after i detailed it last monday.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7-31-06001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7-31-06002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7-31-06003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...7-31-06004.jpg
look at the reflection of the paint. nice clear and depth of color.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97... Sweet bike, Great detail job and advice !!!!!!!! Trust the pro's !!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-10-2006, 06:45 PM

hey for that degreaser on the lower 1/4.. u mean on the paint?? like the undertail, cause i have lube from my chain on it and its soooo hard to get off.. any tips if u didnt mean the degreaser for the paint??

Old 08-11-2006, 12:59 AM

spraying degreaser on paint will be ok. but it will remove any wax you previously applied. i would try simple green. it should get all the sling from the chain lube from the undertail. just remember to put a fresh coat of wax/paint sealant after to keep it looking shiney.