Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help with the final steps of my RattleCan fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help with the final steps of my RattleCan fun?

So....some of you might know, im using a rattle can to paint a tail that i have. Its been a preety fun learning lesson......and a hella lot prep work.

Anyways, so i just finished with my final clear coat. I plan to leave alone to dry overnight, and tommarow morning, finish up.

So i'v got a few questions....

1) Do i need to sand this last coat? after it dries right? i've got 1500 grit, just sand it so its nice and even? what should i be goin for?

2) As for polish, i'm just heading to fred meyers to find some decent priced car polish. any recommendations...also, whats the best way to apply/use the polish??/

3) I'm using Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel as my main paint, and clear color (duplicolor primer too).......do you think leaving it to try overnight, is plenty of time? before i start sanding it?

4) Last, but not least, i heard that you shouldn't apply wax to it for atleast a month, is this true? if so, Why???

Thanks in advance guys.....so far, it looks like crap (but hopefully buffing it will change all that)

EDIT: any final/last things that i'm forgeting???

Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Default RE: A little help with the final steps of my RattleCan fun?

1.)wet sand the last coat with 1500 and then 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. get rid of all of the "orange peel" surface look. also get any dirt and runs out this way
2.) by polish i assume you mean compounds. dont get turtle wax. use a rubbing compound and then a polishing compound. start by putting on and preading around and buff in a circular motion until the stuff is gone ant towel or whatever can be used for this
3.) yes
4.) you shouldnt wax it for at least a month. this allows time for the solvents in the paint to work their way out without being sealed in under wax caussing your paint to bubble[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 AM

cool, is there any rubbing/polishing compound that you would recommend?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM

3m if you can find it. you may have to go to your local body shop to ask for some. idk if you can buy commercially.