Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Can't clean bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a good cleaner/wax or rubbing compound should do the trick.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
And don't put brakleen or carb finish on your paint. If any of the other options don't work try a clay bar

Are you thinking of brake fluid? I use Brakleen on EVERYTHING with no ill effects.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 AM

Definately don't put brake fluid on paint. lol. Seems like I put brakleen on some painted surface at one time and it really dulled the paint. Besides brakleen is not a paint cleaning product. There are other alternatives I would try first.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 PM

just use a good polish like meguiars ColorX and the wax it. should do it. if its really bad use a clay bar

Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not use goof off..this is diluted acetone. Brake clean will dull the finish since its hard on clear coats.

-You could use bug and tar remover that is safe for clear coats(make sure)

-Mineral spirits you could only problem is that its very flammable. With this if you don't use it properly it could again wreck the paint.

Try using warm water and hitting it with dawn dish soap. Now its hard on paint which is correct over a period of time yet its a great degreaser. You dont want to wash your bike every time with it yet to break up hard stubborn stuff some people do use it.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Default HELP Cant clean bike

Hey been riding for about 5 years now.. on my 3rd bike.. 1 resold, 1 stolen and now my baby is locked up safely at night
I use mothers car wash to wash the bike.. hot water and mothers.. and a sponge to get the road grime off.. alot of water to rinse it away, and then a shammy to wash it well.. I then use clean water and a fresh shammy to rinse it off..
I have a "thing" for carnuba wax... I usually put like 2-3 coats on every time.. only take about an hour total to wash and wax.. but worth it.
I have some showroom shine different than armorall.. but essentially does the same thing.. and I use that on the seats and the black plastic it removes any wax that got on it and shines it up nice... I dont have a fender eliminator, so I use it on the fender as well.. makes it look shiney black..
other than that I cover it when not riding,, and usually use honda shine in between wash and wax.. and I use the wax on plastic and metal not aluminum.. just ferring and tank
works well for me.. the bugs wipe right off after a ride and I have noticed the odd stone that will stick to the wax.. not making it to the paint.. mind you very small stones were talking about here..
I pretty much do the same on my car and it works well for me..
these other guys use just the honda shine, and it does the trick for sure, but I like the added protection of a few layers of wax..
just buff it up in between coats..
but I ultimately think its up to you the rider.. I dont mind throwing in a few bucks for good wash and wax and time to make my ride shine.. but every one thinks differently on everything, some think theres no need for the layers of wax.. I figure its just an extra protection from small stones and the like..
but if youd rather spend your time riding than waxing, jsut use the honda spray and dont cry if you get a few swirls or chips...
the windshield is a Bth I have found that on my bikes too.. no matter how careful you are, get swirls in the plastic...sucks in my opinion.. but yes there are products to even get rid of those.
wish we could avaid them all together though.. cheers everybody.. cant wait till this weather gets better and the road clear off.. I got the bug

Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Most of the stuff mentioned isn't just soap (which probably won't work anyway). These are various petroleum based products and their ability to eat paint vary widely (and usually the better they clean, the more likely they are to eat your finish). You really need to test anything you try to find out how much damage it can do before you start. And wait until it dried competely and look at it with a light and from an angle with light reflecting on the spot. The best cleaners will often tear a high gloss finish up.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM

Yeah sounds like it got peppered with overspray, ****ing sux. I'd be pissed off!!!

There is good advice in this thread. How did you go with the clean up?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for clay bars or a buffer and rubbing compound i work for a body shop and those are the two things i use other than thinner or acetone to remove over spray from everything. if it dont work consider having the person that f-d it up have it fixed.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Man that really sucks - have any luck with it?