CBR Zone High Performance Parts For Honda Motorcycles.

APE Or Stock Replacement CCT For F4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm typing this with sore fingers from trying to install the APE manual tensioner on my 01 f4i. Any mechanical whizzes reading this please help! The last three weeks have terrible without my bike.

The first time with the new red APE CCT in there I tightened it until it seemed like there was a little pressure. Upon starting the engine there was a loud rattle of the chain so I quickly killed it. That was yesterday and I quit for the day. Today I went back at it and discovered I could tighten it more with my fingers and with an open wrench I bought today. After tightening it (I can't remember the exact location of the nut) it started up sounding fine. I was overjoyed. Then I noticed the feul injection light blinking, then not, then blinking again. I turn the bike off. From that point on the engine wouldn't start again. I tried tightening it, then loosening it. At first it sounded like the engine would choke once and die, like stalling. In later attempts it just got weaker and now when I turn the key from "off" to "on" the display does not do the usual test, instead just the neutral light comes on.

Maybe Dustin's 2nd suggestion would work, but that may be over my head.

Ideas are welcome, thanks.

Update Nov 2010:
I don't even own that bike anymore but I thought I explained how it got fixed. Dblock55 is right, after getting the CCT in there and tightening it, the display freaked out probably because after starting and stopping the engine so many times the battery was low. So I turned it off, and there was no more juice to start it again. I figured that out quickly because the headlights didn't turn on anymore, had my friend jump start it, and lived happily ever after. The end.

Last edited by espresso express; 11-28-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM

^^ well thats a tad bit weird, could be something other then the CCT.... since your bike is no longer going through its normal check i assume the fuel pump is no longer priming... it is a possibility that youve drained your battery from trying to turn the motor over several times with no success... are the headlights dim?? Try charging the battery and eliminating the small problem first..... i would say that your best bet would be to adjust the CCT using the second method listed on the first page.. ie the manual and more exact method... perhaps by fudging around with the CCT while the bike was on you have thrown something off of alignment, or something skipped somewhere... i am in no way a mechanic but i do know that these things have a way of happening sometimes..... take a good look at it before you just to any conclusions... good luck and let me know how it turns out.....

Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 AM

thanks Dblock, I coulda sworn I wrote another post back then to explain how it got fixed. Anyway I updated the post.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

I've installed 3 APE CCT's now and have never had any issues. Adjusted it according to the manufacturers specs and have never looked back. Always performed and have been very happy.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM

How much does one normally cost

Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered Users

50 online i was looking today. how much was the shop install price?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM

I bought a APE manual CCT last week for 65 bucks shipped, and took it to a shop to get it installed. They quoted me 75 for one hour of labor for the install. They did say that manual CCTs take a little bit more labor than the OEMs. Whether thats true or not I don't know. I imagine they have to set it just right unlike the auto. Will let everyone know how it does once i get the bike back.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Default F4i Cam Chain Tensioner

I contacted Honda and if you order the CCT you will find that Honda replaced the original with an improved version that corrects the problem. A notice was sent to the original owners of the correction. It didn't justify a recall, just a revision. I ordered mine. Just thought I'd fill ya'll in.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
I contacted Honda and if you order the CCT you will find that Honda replaced the original with an improved version that corrects the problem. A notice was sent to the original owners of the correction. It didn't justify a recall, just a revision. I ordered mine. Just thought I'd fill ya'll in.
bump..

i got one of the revised ones and it lasted only 1500km. the original one in
my 2002 at least held on for 17000 km. talk about REVISED.

/rant