CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Worried I'm missing something

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried I'm missing something

Ok, I just want to make sure my bike will stay running fine, What are other things to look out for other then oil, tires, chain and sprockets and spark plugs(manual says they don't need to be changed out till around 20K?)

How often does a coolant flush and change need to be done? I'm pretty sure my bike hasn't had it's coolant changed at all.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazed
Ok, I just want to make sure my bike will stay running fine, What are other things to look out for other then oil, tires, chain and sprockets and spark plugs(manual says they don't need to be changed out till around 20K?)

How often does a coolant flush and change need to be done? I'm pretty sure my bike hasn't had it's coolant changed at all.

G'Day Dazed,

Coolant flush about every two years, and consult the manual for methodology, it varies from model to model. Essentially what you are doing with a coolant change is filling the system to the brim, then bleeding the system to ensure no air pockets remain in the cooling system. Sometimes it involves squeezing hoses others there can be a bleed crew that you wait until coolant flows out of.

Also check your brake/clutch fluid levels periodically and brake pad wear and check your wheel bearings.

Cheers, SB

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM

What happens if you don't flush it so regularly and just add to it if it's running lower? Or Mix different coolants

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazed
What happens if you don't flush it so regularly and just add to it if it's running lower? Or Mix different coolants
Adding should be okay, better than running low...but flushing it is best cause it flushes out those rust....any it is very simple to do but be careful of your plastics...cover it.

Always double check you fairing bolts before long rides...some may rattle loose.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE
How often does a coolant flush and change need to be done? I'm pretty sure my bike hasn't had it's coolant changed at all.[/QUOTE]

The last time I had to change my coolant was when my fan switch went bad...I'm sitting in traffic and fan never turn on...pull the wire from the switch located on bottom of radi, ground it and fan works, so I order a new switch $25.

When removing the switch, coolant will drain, I just direct to lower hose to a bucket and pour fresh coolant until its clear...

Then last month when I install the new Manifold down pipe, manual says remove the radi, so I drain the coolant AGAIN...another $10 worth / waste of coolant.

Then to find out, I can swap the manifold by only needing to remove the fan...live and learn...

Fresh coolant is always a plus for the bike and it is like the easiest thing one can DIY...don't skip this step.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM

These bikes run pretty hot at the best of times. Good coolant is essential to the proper cooling of the bikes...definitely get it changed out.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

bleeding the system on the '54 is easy. you just blip the throttle. the manual tells you in more detail. as far as the coolant, just wait until you're ready to ride again. but it's easy. very easy.

spark plugs need to be changed based on what the plugs look like, imo. but if your bike was running fine before you winterized it - i'm sure it's still fine - and i'm sure the plugs are fine too. things are so much easier now that we're using aluminum blocks and what not. steel sleeves used to mean you had to put a bit of oil in the cyl via the sparkplug hole before you packed it in for the winter.

it's fun - especially when you can't ride - to take the bike apart and work on it. so don't be afraid too. and proper maintenance is important.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You should also check brake pads, check for play in any of the suspension linkage, front forks and rear shock for any signs of leakage, check cables for free running with no frays (a snappy throttle response and fluid light clutch movement at the bars ) tyre pressures are always forgotten aswell as checking your small tools you carry for an emergency. Do a nut and bolt check whilst your at it and you will see if your tools need attention. Lastly (though theres many more you could do) from me would also be your clock lights. If you ride during the daylight most of the time, the night your out in the dark will be a more pleasureable if you can actually read everything in front of you. Riding through pitch black country lanes with a black hole between your arms wont help much. Theres lots more you can check on your bike but its good to get familiar with her. Clean it often, get to know her well, and you will see the things that need doing. Have fun mate.....thats whats it all about !!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flush brake lines and coolant once a year regardless of miles.Both are very easy to do.For coolant I like to flush it with distilled water.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM

What's the fastest method for flushing and filling the 954 with new coolant?

and I'm thinking of using engine ice?

Quick Reply: Worried I'm missing something