CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What the s%$t

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the s%$t

Preface: I have an 02 954 with about 8000 miles on it.

Okay, it's a nice day out today, so I go for a ride to visit a friend. I put on about 70 miles and 5 miles from home my speedo, tach, clock, nuetral light... my whole cluster pretty much dies out. No numbers show up or anything. The only check I've done so far is turned it off and back on to see if it works and nothing. What the hell is goin on here. anyone have this problem????

Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Default RE: What the s%$t

I would say you have a bad connection.
pull the harness apart an put some ele. grease on the connector.
Water gets in there an corrodes it.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Retired Mod

start with the easiest thing: check the fuse. also, does the bike start back up? a bad battery can cause everything to quit working, even if the engine is still running. if the fuse is good and the battery ok, then check the connections on the gauges. if everything checks out, then i have no clue. wiring gremlins are the hardest to track. good luck

Old 05-29-2006, 05:18 AM

I checked it out a little more tonight. I noticed that my upper lights (european aftermarkets) were off also. I'm assuming that the person who put those aftermarket lights on wired them into the same place as my instrument cluster. First step tomorrow once I sober up is to check the fuse. I'm pretty sure if it continues to blow that I need to rewire to connect the aftermarket lights to the running lights on the bike. I'll keep you guys posted on my success... thanks for all of the help so far!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:22 PM

as you said of the wiring . if you add a circuit to a pre existing circuit.( run wires from cluster to lights ) this additional circuit reduces the amount of resistance in that circuit and when resistance decreases current flow increases. when current flow increases fuses blow to protect the circuit remember ohms law .

Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 AM

Ohm's Law

Ohm's Law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. One ohm is the resistance value through which one volt will maintain a current of one ampere.

( I ) Current is what flows on a wire or conductor like water flowing down a river. Current flows from points of high voltage to points of low voltage on the surface of a conductor. Current is measured in (A) amperes or amps.

( E ) Voltage is the difference in electrical potential between two points in a circuit. It's the push or pressure behind current flow through a circuit, and is measured in (V) volts.

( R ) Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms.

( P ) Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts.

• Ohm's Law Pie Chart
• Ohm's Law Calculators
• Test Equipment: Digital Multi Meter (DMM)

Do I get an A++++++

Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM

how about a copy and paste award. j/k i didnt know that

Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 PM

First off, thanks for all of your suggestions guys

So here's the deal. I checked it and it's just a fuse... since i've only had the bike for a few months, and i know there is some ... well... interesting wiring and aftermarket lights on the bike.... I looked into it a bit more. I think a previous owner ran the aftermarket european lights (on the headlight cluster) from the power lead from the turn signals (the capacitor that makes it blink must be after the light...) then ran the ground for the european lights back to the constant power lead for the tail light (the one that stays on constantly) and then I think grounds it. I don't know why the heck this guy ran so many wires all over the place, but once I replace the fuse it'll work (I checked it with a different fuse and everything works). My next concern is... just like sredlihcm was saying... the more resistors (like lights) that you run in parallel, the less resistance, the more amperage it pulls which will blow fuses. I wanna kick the guy who did the wiring in the cherries. I spent a good amount of time already just taking off the damn electrical tape and soldering and shrinkwrapping the connections.

Summation: it was the fuse

Future questions: Will it continue to blow? to be continued....

Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 PM

Yeah google is great for that huh?

Old 06-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Google make the stupid smart and the smart angry!!! LOL......