CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Upgrade Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Suggestions

So i've had my 954 for a little under a year now and I must say I LOVE this bike. However, I was thinking about upgrading to a 2008 CBR 1000rr. I was talking to a friend about it and he says I shouldnt upgrade until I try a power commander because the 954 will feel like a completely new bike. Does a power commander really make that much difference? please give me your thoughts and opinions.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 PM

It's not like its going to magically make your bike have way more power...it's just a tuning aid. If you have aftermarket parts like a full exhaust system, a power commander will help you make the most of them. On a stock system you may (or may not) gain a few hp, possibly better throttle response, low rpm fueling, etc.

If you love your 954 so much, why do you want to get rid of it? Surely it can't be lack of power...these things can pull sub 3 second 0-60 mph times, and mid 10 second 1/4 mile times in stock form.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Im not gonna Sell it. I was going to get an additional bike. This was the first and only bike ive ever had so I was just curious about how other bikes may feel

Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

while you may see a few ponies from a dyno tune and PCIII, you won't notice them. what you'll notice is the much better fueling. it'll feel a lot better, but it won't be a "new" bike. and it sure as hell wouldn't be as good as a 1000rr. those bikes have dual stage injection, a way better ECU, more mechanical grip, etc....

don't get me wrong, i love the 954 too. but it's naive to say that a pc and a tune would be as good as or even in the same league as a 1000rr.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
while you may see a few ponies from a dyno tune and PCIII, you won't notice them. what you'll notice is the much better fueling. it'll feel a lot better, but it won't be a "new" bike. and it sure as hell wouldn't be as good as a 1000rr. those bikes have dual stage injection, a way better ECU, more mechanical grip, etc....

don't get me wrong, i love the 954 too. but it's naive to say that a pc and a tune would be as good as or even in the same league as a 1000rr.
What he says .... i have a power commander and find the bike runs perfectly, no juddering, fuel issues or anything, when it was in my local Honda dealer recently and he took it on a test ride, he told me it was the best 954 he had ridden in recent years,..... but then again i do also have an Ohlins shock and other mods so i guess i am at an advantage. The newer bike is lovely but you pay a lot more for it, would you really notice any extra BHP.... you only really see it in the higher RPM's, can you really use that on the road ? I would think not, what our 954 does have is size, or the lack of it, it is still the smallest and lightest blade ever produced, my old 600cc was bigger and heavier than this bike.

Oh and don't forget one thing it really does have..... its RARE... You can see 1000RR models all over the place, i have yet to see another 954 on the road !

Last edited by Hudson; 02-27-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking to get out of your 954?Why not just change your gearing to get quicker acceleration?

Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM

I am hoping for better throttle response. I recently rode my buddy's bike (also a 954) and his throttle is way more sensitive than mine. I went ahead and ordered a PCIII, Steering damper, and a digital gear indicator (I copied lets ride) so im anxious to see what differences I'll notice. Any other suggestions.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by HASH
I am hoping for better throttle response. I recently rode my buddy's bike (also a 954) and his throttle is way more sensitive than mine. I went ahead and ordered a PCIII, Steering damper, and a digital gear indicator (I copied lets ride) so im anxious to see what differences I'll notice. Any other suggestions.
Sweet!!!! Also get a R1 throttle tube for quick 1/4 turn.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by letsride
Sweet!!!! Also get a R1 throttle tube for quick 1/4 turn.
does this make the throttle more sensitive?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by HASH
does this make the throttle more sensitive?
Yep. Don't have to twist it as much.

Quick Reply: Upgrade Suggestions