CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Tire question

Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

This weekend I went riding with a bunch of dudes. We were hauling *** down I-20, running up to the 150s when one of them told me to slow down and pull over. Once we pulled over, he told me that my rear tire looked low. We checked it and in fact it was. Im so thankful he noticed it because i was ready to punch it again. Anyway, we used fix a flat to get me to the nearest gas station. Once we got there, we put a plug in it to get meback home, which was about 60 miles away. These tires (pilots) were brand new, only 800 miles. The hole was in between the tread, dead center. I dont know what i ran over, but it got me pretty good. My first question is will the fix a flat mess anything up? I heard not to put it in, but I had no chaoice at the time. Second question is, is the tire ruined? I already ordered a new one, but should I just get it patched, and use it as a spare, or throw it away? Holla at me Bobjoe, I always listen to your advice!! How come I didnt feel the tire going flat? What would have happened if my homeboy never saw it?

Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Default RE: Tire question

I WOULD GET A NEW TIRE.. PERSONALLY I DONT THINK FIX A FLAT IS A GOOD IDEA ON SPORTBIKES AT ALL... THE SPEEDS YOUR RUNNING AT, AND YOUR APPARENT RIDING STYLE YOUR BETTER OFF GETTING A NEW TIRE..PERHAPS YOU DIDNT FEEL THE TIRE GOING FLAT BECAUSE AT 150 THE SIZE OF YOUR TIRE THATS TOUCHING THE ROAD IS SMALLER THAN A DIME.. AND YOUR RIDING A RELATIVILY STRAIGHT LINE..

Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM

Dont use Fix-a-Flat it eats away the finish of your wheels which could in time really mess up your wheels. It is a quick fix but its up to you.....

Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i go with the others..... think of it this way... what if that tire would have blown out at 150... more then likely a nasty crash....so running on a "fixed" tire is not the best idea.. inspect tires often.... also i would never use a fix a flat for longer then i HAD to.. ex. to make it home.. you already orderd a tire so good idea.. put that one on.. but KEEP the other one in case of another flat as time goes on .. or for a good burnout show if you into that kinda thing.. but i would replace tire with brand new one ASAP.. tires are the most important part of a sportbike my opinon

Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 PM

just ah hint tell who ever is gonna mount the tire that you put fix a flat in the tire it will save him a mess but yea id replace it

Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM

"PERHAPS YOU DIDNT FEEL THE TIRE GOING FLAT BECAUSE AT 150 THE SIZE OF YOUR TIRE THATS TOUCHING THE ROAD IS SMALLER THAN A DIME"

that would happen to your front tire...the rear tire would increase in size...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 PM

Motorcycle shops where I live will not patch a tire you will have to get it replaced.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:29 PM

one of my friends pluged a rear on his cbr900. ran it till it was bald. no poblems. personally i wouldnt do it. he was cheap and didnt value his life much either, if ya ask me.

burn the hell out of it and post up the video!

Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM

same here, every other rider i know has a patched tire and we (myself included) run on that tire until we see the inner-net. i recommend changing it in few hundred miles but i dont see a huge issue. dont know any one who had their tire blow out because of this

Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: alekinci

same here, every other rider i know has a patched tire and we (myself included) run on that tire until we see the inner-net. i recommend changing it in few hundred miles but i dont see a huge issue. dont know any one who had their tire blow out because of this
why would you want to risk the bike and yourself... when a new tire is 150-200 bucks... if you go down it will be ALOT more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire question