CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Suspension

Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

Lets talk suspension, what does everyone set their upper and lower fork settings too? What about the back, what there?

Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Default RE: Suspension

finally, a thread that will help everyone.
i dont even know where my fronts are set. my rear shock is all the way up. (im a big guy) and i just set my front until i couldnt really feel all the potholes from that city riding.

i would love to hear what everyone else has for settings compared to riding conditions.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 PM

THIS CHART SHOULD BE HELPFUL - http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...ettings/#honda

Old 08-01-2007, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: beckpack

finally, a thread that will help everyone.
i dont even know where my fronts are set. my rear shock is all the way up. (im a big guy) and i just set my front until i couldnt really feel all the potholes from that city riding.

i would love to hear what everyone else has for settings compared to riding conditions.
get the forks resprung to your weight-it makes a big difference and helps
when adjusting-do this to the shock as well!!
i really wish i could add to this thread-all my sh*t is aftermarket,well,except for
reinstalling the rear shock(i would rec replacing it with a aftermarket set with correct
spring rates!!)-actually this is the first thread i have seen about this-i hope it stays open!!
i will do my best to add to it!!
for now spring rates are the best start-stock or aftermarket system-get the correct weight
match!!then start to sort out adjusting!!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
VP

I guess I'll take it in to get resprung cuz I've never done this either I always newit would help but I've never tried anything

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM

wht tyres work best on 954 tried conti road attack not good lots of high slides

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: sun_bxs

wht tyres work best on 954 tried conti road attack not good lots of high slides
I really like the Michelin Pilot Powers I have on mine, quick heat up and excellent traction!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Bridgestones!!! New design BT-015. Best tires for our 54's

Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: TCIRACING

Bridgestones!!! New design BT-015. Best tires for our 54's

Is that a fact or do you sell those for a living ?

Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

As far as suspension goes here is some good reading for diagnosing and setting up your bike, very long. Need to give props to Max McAllister at Traxxion Dynamics for much of this information.

Suspension 101 [/align]

Suspension 101.

Introduction

Unfortunately there is no literature that can give you the perfect machine setup. Also suspension setup is individually dependent on the rider (style, preference) and track conditions, which vary from race to race. We can therefore only try to give you guidelines and ground rules for the chassis setup of your machine.

General guideline
The general guideline in road racing is that the suspension has to support the tires to create the best possible grip. For this reason suspension plays it's most important role in corners, chicanes, acceleration and braking. In the straight line the suspension works satisfactory if it can absorb the bumps without causing instability.

Suspension stroke
A road race bike should normally not use its full suspension stroke, although on some circuit one or two big bumps or hollows can cause the suspension to bottom. Also landing of front wheel after wheelies can cause excessive use of the front fork stroke. If suspension bottoms in big bump or hollow, it should not automatically mean that the suspension should be set harder. However, if suspension bottoms at the place were the maximum grip is essential the tire cannot create the best traction, because it also has to perform as spring. Adjusting the setting is necessary. During every riding session the suspension stroke should be carefully checked. When tire grip and lap times improve, the suspension has a harder job. So, setting must be set harder. On the opposite, when it starts raining tire grip and lap times go down, in that case a softer setting should be applied.

Suspension setup
Before starting suspension setup, read the owners manual!
A tip, do your changes in suspension setup one by one, try to learn what effect each individual adjustment has on your bike and take notes!

Static sag without rider
Hold the bike upright on a flat surface. Independently lift front and rear until the suspension is fully extended, the value should be approximately:

Type Front sag Rear sag
Super Bike 20-30 mm 5-10 mm
Super Sport 20-30 mm 5-10 mm
RR 250 15-25 mm 0-5 mm
RR125 15-25 mm Just top out 0 mm

Note: An RR 125 cannot afford to loose the momentum that the sag would give in a straight line (loss of top speed). The static sag is adjusted by the spring preload. The procedure is the same for the front fork and rear shock.
Static sag with rider
The accepted manner to adjust the spring ratio is to measure how much stroke is used with the rider sitting on the bike in straight line position (behind fairing) after you have set the correct static sag without rider. Normally 1/3 of the full stroke is a good starting point for all machines. This is only a guide line for the right spring ratio. The final check must be done on the circuit.

Note: Ohlins racing shocks features a "top-out" spring to prevent the shock from extending to quickly, causing the rear wheel to jump under braking. The top-out spring also affects the negative sag, making it difficult to adjust the sag with the shock on the bike.

Your Ohlins shock is delivered with the correct spring preload set and we recommend you to use this value for the basic setup. Ride height should be adjusted with the ride height adjuster on the bike or on the shock.

Rebound damping:
*Rear suspension
Too much rebound damping can cause:
- The rear "jumps" on the bumps instead of following the surface.
- The rear "jitters" under braking.
- It holds the rear down with the result that the bike will understeer!
- It can cause overheating in the hydraulic system of the shock absorber and make it fade, in other words, it will loose damping when hot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suspension