CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Should I buy this CBR 954 with 40K miles? Help and Advice is needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this CBR 954 with 40K miles? Help and Advice is needed!

Hello. So I sold my CBR 600RR to my friend because he really liked it. He bought it for a pretty good price and has all your basic mods. PC and Airfilter etc. Lately I have been browsing CL and saw a 954RR. I never looked at this bike and when I looked at the picture thread DANG! These bikes looks so good. I talked to the guy and he said he used to work for the motorcycle dealer in town. His asking price is $3500 because he needs new tires but the thing is the mileage put me off! here is the link of the AD. Should I get it or pass on and wait for a better deal?

2002 CBR954RR, very clean with add-ons!!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Although miles mean absolutly nothing on these bikes I would try to get it for like 3gs...

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM

I got mine for about 4k, with 8.5k miles, if you cant talk him down to 3gs then I would hold out for another one. You will defiantly like the switch, I came from a 06 600rr and I don't think Ill ever go back lol

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 PM

I paid that much for mine with the same miles. It runs great and has all of the upgrades I wanted. The upgrades would have put me way over $3,000! Just see if he is willing to lower the price some

Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 yrs old. He has averaged 5k a year. He also states that it has been to the Track. The mileage wouldnt put me off, but......has it had its major valve adjust. Whats the timing like? What goodies come with the bike? I use mine on the Track as well. You would not be so willing to give me $3500 after you witness a warm up lap! With that being said. I wouldnt sell mine for anything! 35k on her. Cant remember a time I had her out without bouncing the needle of the rev limiter. Turn the key, fire her up, wring it out! She brings me home everytime! Odds are with that many miles. The bike will show some battle scars. Check for loose head bearing, wheel bearings. Final drive condition. (Sprockets, chain) Look for obvious signs of leaking. (oil, coolant) Does he have service records? If he has racked up 40k on her. Why does he not have new shoes on her? He obviously rides it. Just simple questions he should be able to answer. If you can get him under 3k.....pull the pin! Best of luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 AM

I gotcha thanks guys. So he said his final offer is $3300 cash in hand and its all mine. He said he has been on the track and purchased the bike from a friend of his at 30k miles and valve were checked at that time. He put on 10k miles on it and said mostly freeway and track. I will go check the bike out in the AM and I will report back to you guys. The condition seems really good and he used to work at a motorcycle shop which is really good. Thanks again and hope this will be a good deal! I miss my CBR. BTW out of the subject all motorcycles I ever owned are CBRs. F4I, RR, and now moslt likely this 954!

Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by DevilInDisguise
I gotcha thanks guys. So he said his final offer is $3300 cash in hand and its all mine. He said he has been on the track and purchased the bike from a friend of his at 30k miles and valve were checked at that time. He put on 10k miles on it and said mostly freeway and track. I will go check the bike out in the AM and I will report back to you guys. The condition seems really good and he used to work at a motorcycle shop which is really good. Thanks again and hope this will be a good deal! I miss my CBR. BTW out of the subject all motorcycles I ever owned are CBRs. F4I, RR, and now moslt likely this 954!

Same Here!! lol

Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 PM

Hey guys so I went to look at the bike in person and it seems like a pretty good. All it needs is a new oil change and new rear tire! The thing that put me off is that the guy has it financed so he doesent have the title. And the guy told me that the valves were checked at like 29k miles and now the bike has 45,643 miles. According to him the bike runs like a champ. I like the looks of the bike though and the lowest he would go for is $3200. IDK guys. His bike was well taken cared of! It has new Chain and Sprockets, Front and rear brake pads, Has a Power Commander, Steering stabalizer and stainless steel brake lines. The fork seals are good and are in good condition. The bike was also has that Micron Full exhaust etc.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM

sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As far as the title goes, as long as you go to the bank he financed the bike through and make sure he uses the money to pay off what he owes on the bike, then there shouldn't be an issue getting the title in your name. Instead them sending the title to him they will forward it to you and take the lien off assuming you aren't getting a loan for the bike.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by asullivan
sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As far as the title goes, as long as you go to the bank he financed the bike through and make sure he uses the money to pay off what he owes on the bike, then there shouldn't be an issue getting the title in your name. Instead them sending the title to him they will forward it to you and take the lien off assuming you aren't getting a loan for the bike.
Hit on point. I would personally contact the finance company and make sure the pay off is not higher than what he is asking, and if that means you have to make a final payment to them then that is a done deal. There are good people out there and bad, I'd research myself before I say "Here you go, Ill be waiting on the title." Keep in mind, if buying this bike for 3200 makes you happy then go for it. If it is something you really want and he was asking 4gs then its on you. I have no regrets in paying 6800 for mine in 05.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this CBR 954 with 40K miles? Help and Advice is needed!