CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Selling my 954 :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
What you need to do is this. Find yourself a good group of like-minded riders. Local sportbike riding club. Get some weekly rides going. You get to not only meet new friends. But share in your joy of riding on 2 wheels. You have the opportunity to share what you have learned. But also watch and learn from other riders as well. You also bring "Group" riding to the table. You will find that it will add a different dimension to your riding. I love to go out and run solo! But I am also lucky enough to have a very large group of local riders that have an incredible level of skill. Our group rides are nothing short of Incredible! Winter around here finds us at local watering holes doing some serious bench racing! We have formed bonds that will last a lifetime. We do Family gatherings, Holidays, etc. There is not a checkered flag or qualifying times on public roadways. You must remember this. If you can not control yourself out there and keep it for the track. There are many skills you can work on out on the roadway. Line choice, throttle control, entry and exit speeds, Braking, braking, braking....You can never have enough braking practice! If you dont want to do that. Then maybee it would be best to say good bye to the sport. I bet if you think outside the box though. You will find a happy medium! Best of luck on your decision!
I actually did just as you said. When I first got the bike I started riding with some people my age (22) and I could clearly see they were idiots. Luckily I found some older guys (one from this site actually) who were local to me and a few of which had been racing motorcycles longer than I had been alive lol. Through them I learned how to ride the right way and before long I was keeping up with them no problem. Probably why I am still alive is learning from them and not from idiots.

But heres the sad part, I was home sick with the flu one weekend and didnt go with them, and the next day I got a call that one the guys lost going around the corner and got hit by oncoming traffic Whats sad is that he wasnt one of the craziest on a bike. He was in his 40's and had a family and was usually more reserved than a few of us. Nothing wrong with his abilities either he was a good rider that had been riding for 20+ years. Apparently his rear tire just lost grip for some reason and slid out on him. Thats been over a year ago now but that is another thing that has been in the back of my mind ever since. So thats where I get my thinking is that if he had been on a track and that happened chances are he would have slid into grass/sand and still been riding today.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now! Some of us are in our 40's........Its true! With age comes wisdom. I am sorry for your loss. This has been a bad year for our group as well. We have lost 5 members. All different circumstances. Each one had a passion for Motorcycles. Each one would'nt of had any other way, but to leave this earth doing what they loved. Riding a Motorcycle is a Risky behavior in its own right. Push the envelope and you increase those odds. Any activity we as people choose to do will have inherent risks. You pick the battles you want to fight. If you choose to walk away. Nothing but respect for your decision my friend! I have a wife and 2 sons. Dont think that every time I go in hot. Their faces dont flash through my mind! Its what keeps me grounded and alot less hamfisted than I used to be! She also knows its an outlet for me. I go out for a ride and come home relaxed. I am alot less likely to stuff all of them in the garbage disposal after I go for a ride......So if you are thinking of starting up a family.......dont sell the bike!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM

i wiped out on my 954 last summer really bad

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Lol yeah I hear ya Ironhead.......I just really think the thing to do is to sell it now and just buy another after I graduate and find a good job and just do track days regularly.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 AM

I know what you're saying.

When I had my EX500 I used to ride safely and not take any chances.

Gradually, as I approached the 1-year mark of ownership (my first bike)....I began to give tail-gating drivers the middle finger....I also started to use the emergency break-down lane of freeways to get away from other drivers, etc.

It truly felt like a clock was ticking and that it was only a matter of time before I crashed.

Listen to your gut, it's telling you something for a reason.

Too often I think, people ignore their gut and sadly pay the price.