CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Runnin' like ish

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runnin' like ish

So i had my bike away for the winter. i had away for probably 3 months total without touching it. last year i went and started it up every week or so but this year i got really lazy and didnt think much could happen if i didnt. well i threw my battery back in and started it up to ride a few days ago because it was nice and it ran kinda bad. i didnt fill the tank up before i stored it. all i did was basically throw some fuel stabilizer in it and put the battery on a charger.
well i took it out and rode it for a couple of miles and it felt kind of boggy immediately. i figured maybe the gas was bad or somethin. i filled my tank all the way up and rode till that tank was empty, and still no change. i thought maybe some bad gas was still in there from after i filled it and it was just a bad mix with the old gas. so i bought some seamfoam and put like half the bottle in hoping it would clear out whatever was messed up. after riding it for like 5 miles still on a basically empty tank with the high concentration of seafoam in it there was still no change. so i filled the tank up again and used about 3/4 of it so far and there is still no change.
any suggestions on what i should check. im hoping someone else encountered this problem maybe and can lead me to a quick fix. i thought to check the plugs, but they seems like such a PITA to get to that i dont want to do it for nothing. they have about 12k miles on them if that matters, but cant see how they would go bad just from sitting, maybe one is fouled out or something? anyone else have any suggestions or anything else that would be easy that i should check while i am checking the plugs if it comes down to that?
the bike pretty much feels like it is running at probably 80% power or something. usually i can whack the throttle in first gear(no clutch) and it would come up with no effort. now when i hit it the wheel wont come up, it wants to but it just doesnt have the power. also it sounds like an rc-51 or something. just has a deeper sorta boggier sound to it, especially down low and when i go from a stop, but you can also tell up high too.

Suggestions please? Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM

sounds sorta like what i was going through mine was the plugs

Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 PM

+1 on plugs...

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Man, make sure the batt posts have a good connection. If you just threw that thing back on to go ridiing you might have rushed it and not have tightened them enough. I have done that before. Rode around for a day with the bike missing and bogging down till I checked and found a lose connection on the batt post.

If that's not it then I agree the plugs could be bad. Plugs can go bad anytime, they don't have to have reason. Learned that the hard way to ... lol

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM

alright cool. i got a set of new plugs comin, i hope it works afterwards so i can be done with this problem. ive seen people say its hard to change them on a 954. what is this spark plug tool that comes with the bike look like? mine didnt come with a tool set when i bought it so i dont even know if ill have a tool to be able to get to them from the looks of how small the space is that i have to work with...

edit: diablo, the battery connections were good, cuz i remember pullin the battery out a couple of days ago and the screws were kinda hard to get back off at first so the connects were all good, thanks though. funny you say that though, i was ridin with my friend when i took mine out and was runnin crappy and his bike kept cuttin out randomly, we pulled over and checked it out and realized a battery connection was very loose lol

Last edited by theskater101388; 02-20-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM

you dont have to have the honda spark plug tool.... i didnt but i had to go from the top and take the tank off... much easier to get to... just break out the ole 3/8 rachet, extentions and 5/8 spark plug socket.. too easy, just take your time and get some dielectrode grease much easier to reinstall

Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 AM

did the plugs and that fixed it, now its runnin perfect. what a PITA they were though, i love how much room they DONT give you to work with lol.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by theskater101388
did the plugs and that fixed it, now its runnin perfect. what a PITA they were though, i love how much room they DONT give you to work with lol.

awesome happy for you. and no not much room at all, dang brace in the way