CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Question about CBR954RR Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about CBR954RR Fuel Tank

I've got a fuel tank with a few imperfections and a few small dents

I was going to swap out the fairings but the tank is black with titanium accent. I cant seem to find the farings that match.

So now i thought - change the tank but an OEM fuel tank is alotta money - I thought i saw someone with a 600rr fuel tank on their 954rr

is this possible to do?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not even close....

vs.

nothing would work. the airbox wouldn't fit. TBs wouldn't work. fuel pump wouldn't work (im fairly sure).

the 954 uses an actual tank. it sits on top of everything, airbox is underneath it.

the 600rr uses a tank cover. the tank sits far back and some of it is under the seat. the airbox sits in front of the gas tank.

two completely different set ups...

Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM

yeah i kind of assumed that - so i guess i'd have to replace the entire thing. it sucks cause there so much

heres a question thats been driving me nuts

the tank u have for the 954rr in the picture is titanium on black. mine is black on titanium....
i cant find that pattern ANYWHERE!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM

i'm pretty sure that isn't an OEM pattern... you might have to find a black tank and put titanium accents on it. you find those stickers in just about every color on the internet...

Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Titanium and black was only made for 03 954.02 was silver and black.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM

I have a feeling i'm not going to like the outcome of this - but i bought it with 3700 miles on it - and i cant find anything that looks like it below.

Other then scuffs on the body here and there - under it the engine, pipes and everything else looked super clean - i just hope i didnt get scammed

Name:  IMG_1291.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  200.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1292.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  193.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1293.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  159.9 KB

Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM

hmmm.... looks like someone just flipped a bunch of the colors on the titanium scheme. the tail is a titanium, the side fairings and nose are flipped on the colors they're supposed to be. where yours is black - it should be titanium, and where it's titanium, it should be black.

it's custom, but it doesn't mean its bad, i like it. so ya, that's not an oem scheme. you'd have to find a black tank, then get those decals (and a bunch of sites make every color combo - so it'd be easy).

Last edited by Conrice; 09-12-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 AM

yeah i had a feeling about the swapped colors - makes me worry about the odometer being legit then though

i'd really like to get new fairings but i dont know what to do with the tank is my problem.

Any suggestions where i can/should order from?

another question - off topic. when i down shift from neutral to first its kinda hard and shakes the bike a bit. is that normal?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM

don't worry about it if the bike runs good. the bike could have gone down, but if you're taking care of it, i wouldn't worry about it. the miles really aren't an issue so long as you take care of it. change the oil and ride it.

if you buy a titanium tank, it shouldn't look *too* out of place on there.

i buy everthing via ebay and craigslist. if you're going to get different fairings, stay away from the china fairings. stick with oem. it'll take longer to piece them all together, but it's worth it.

that nuetral to first thing does happen from time to time. it's just those dogs trying to get back in gear with eachother. do youself a favor though and don't beat on the shift lever too much when it happens. leave it in neutral - let out the clutch for a couple of seconds, pull it back i and try shifting again. the main shaft is still spinning as long as the clutch is out. sometimes it'll make the dogs rotate just enough to get back into gear smoothly. and also make sure your pinch bolt on the shift lever and selector gear is pretty tight.

but i have to be honest. i dig that paint scheme. id leave it at that. it looks good and if a "fiddyfour-er" sees it, it'll make them look twice. it did me anyways

Old 09-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd leave it the way it is unless you really want a new tank.If so I'll buy that tank for a good price.I swapped my tank and upper just to be different than all others as well.

Quick Reply: Question about CBR954RR Fuel Tank