CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Price check

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price check

The dealership in my area checked out my bike and said it was the fuel injectors. The quote for parts and labor is going to run me 550.00. I was wondering if that sounded about right or if they are trying to take me for a ride. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Price check

All 4 of them replaced? or just one bad one? Did they do a leak down test, did they do an ohm test on the wiring, did they pressure test them? How do they know they are bad, perhaps they can just be cleaned, etc...... Also they are not that hard to do if you have some mechanical inclination and tools, i'm sure you could save a lot to do them yourself, there are also places online you can send them out to be refurbished a lot cheaper then new ones.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what tk said.. what is the nature of your problem.. why did you take it into the dealership, also why dont you fix this "problem" yourself??

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM

well as far as the mechanical skills I dont have the room or the tools and I had posted earlier that the bike would turn over and almost start sometimes but never did. The dealership replaced the spark plugs and checked the fuel injectors and told me that all 4 were too bad to be cleaned.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm .. well dealerships are always out to make money.. kinda wierd that all 4 went bad i would do some tests to make sure but doens't look that price is that bad if that includes parts, but the labor is pretty easy also.. . i would run it staright on some fuel injector/sea foam .. if can't get any better results then get some injectors.. also check out these sites..

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june98/techtotech.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic30336.htm

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM

This is my $0.02 from MY experience on previous bikes...The chances of ALL 4 injectors going completely out, is a snow ***** chance in hell. Yeah i've seen a few stick open and flood the bike, making it kill itself at idle. Also making the bike run really rich, smell of gas from the exhaust. I've seen similiar situations with fouled plugs....But have i ever seen the injectors stop the bike from running, NO. And ive never seen 4 injectors go completely out and just stay shut. They would have to stay shut to never open and get gas to the bike. I've seen them get dirt in them and get stuck open alot of times and ive seen a few stay closed..But never have a i seen them ALL do that........I would take the Coils off the plugs. Then 1 by 1 test the coils. Put a good plug in coil 1 and try to start the bike (see if u get good spark)...Put the same coil and the same plug on EACH cylinder. Just so u know for sure each cylinder fires. Then go with another coil and another plug to the other 3 cylinders..Repeat process til u know for a fact ALL 4 cylinders are firing (good power, good plug, and good coil)..Process of elimination.........Also make sure ur fuel pump is coming on and priming up. U should be able to hear it when the key and the red switch are on the first few secs...If u cant hear it, its not working (thats a problem)......Also, check ur main fuel hose from ur pump to ur fuel rail. Make sure theres no clogs in it (if it sat up). Pull it completely off the fuel rail and make sure u are getting fuel to the rail end of it........Check ur fuel pressure regulator, make sure its good......MY OPINION, NO WAY IN HELL ALL 4 INJECTORS WENT OUT AT THE SAME TIME........I'd look at ALL of the above just to make damn sure........=-)

PS: I have those injectors off my parts bike IF u really think its them. I'll make u deal on them. But like i said, i dont think thats the problem......I'm not knocking the dealers opinion at all. Just simply stating my opinion from my experience....=-)

Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 AM

Gotta agree with these guys, they don't call em a stealership for nothin. Go to a private shop, probably the smaller the better or ask around and see who some other riders recommend - you'll probably get the name of one come up a few times and go to them. Having worked in a shop before, I can say that the injectors never go at the same time, not even 2 of them, unless the bike has been sitting for a very long time in which case a good fuel injector cleaner will usually fix them up.

But hey, if you do remove the injectors, it's a great time to install some [sm=nxsmile.gif]!!!