CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Please help me diagnose this serious issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ajzcamaro...appreciate your feedback.

Regarding the chain, I loosened the wheel nut and was prepared to tighten it, but then measured the slack and it fell within normal range so I stopped in my tracks. However, the jumping around cannot be normal or good, so I hear you loud and clear on that. I have not pulled the front sprocket cover yet, but it sounds like that would be a great next course of action. Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the vid I'd have to say the chain can't have the correct slack in it. If it did, it wouldn't be able to jump around like that I think.

You may as well start ordering a new chain and sprockets now, imo. Everything that would point to either will mean replacing both. And since you don't know the chain's history, suspecting it could be the stock chain (and therefore stock sprockets), it'd be a good idea anyway.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

look, if that previous owner didn't take care of it, a 530 couldn't last long. you have to take care of chains otherwise they don't last long, no matter what size they are. how many points on the chain did you check the slack? just the one? i bet if you rotated the wheel and checked in other spots, that the chain would be WAY out of spec as far as slack goes.

you definitely need to replace sprockets and chain. as far as your video, thats all i could tell that was wrong

Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 AM

You really need to look at the front sprocket. I agree it looks like the chain is the problem. I've never run my bike on the rear stand, but I might just do that and make a video for the hell of it.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Mine does the exact same thing Steve. I'll upload a video. I don't think it's the chain. Seems more like slack in the drive train. Mine spins freely in neutral though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZRulbjSBkM

Last edited by moosestang; 08-11-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 PM

You may still need a new chain steve. mine doesn't make any noise just pushing it around. I don't believe your chain is causing the jerking at idle speed. If I pull in the clutch, chain still spinning fast, it doesn't jerky. IMO it's a combination of slack in the chain, slack in the drivetrain and the weight of the rotating parts. I gave it just a little throttle and it smoothed out for the most part. keep in mind that your chain is tighter with you and the weight of the bike on the rear suspension.

It'd be interesting to run the bike with the chain off the front sprocket to see if it still jerks.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

your chain will/should jump around when you let the clutch out while the bikes on the stand like in moosestangs.... but it shouldn't have the noise and the jumping that the bike in the video by the OP. that definitely is in need of new chain/sprockets.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
your chain will/should jump around when you let the clutch out while the bikes on the stand like in moosestangs.... but it shouldn't have the noise and the jumping that the bike in the video by the OP. that definitely is in need of new chain/sprockets.
You can hear mine clatter towards the end of my video. I believe this is normal slack in the transmission. Moving the tire back and forth in 1st gear shows just how much slop there is. I don't know why manufacturers design all this slop in drive trains. My car has quite a bit of slop as well. Must be there to prevent damage.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well as far as the OP is concerned, I wouldn't be shocked if he pops the front sprocket cover and finds he's missing a tooth (or something jammed up in there).

Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Just to further emphasize the noise or shaking/clattering. Here's a video of a different bike.

P8010936 - YouTube

I wouldn't be concerned about it. I wouldn't continue to run it up on the stand with no load on the tire either. It can't be good for the transmission.

Last edited by moosestang; 08-11-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose this serious issue