Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 954 owner.. need suspension settings help

lol here is a few pics

Name:  2001suzuki-2008.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  86.3 KB

It was raining a few minutes before and the camera wasn't setup correctly, but you get the idea. Stock height? The tire looks more profound against my bandit's tire, but I don't have a picture comparing them.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 PM

those look like stock tires!!-that have never been cornered hard!!
what is the make and model of the tires,also milage on bike!
and why the primered fairings?
go to a local dealer and look at the rear tire on a 1ltr model-they are rounded
the rear tire on mine looks close to the same as yours[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
-the guy i bought it from said he never drove it hard-but took long trips on it
(like 500-800 miles)x2-low miles in between!!-when i got my 54-she had 1800
miles(approx)-chicken strips is what i am thinking!!-however for buying a used
rice rocket this is a good thing[sm=smiley20.gif]-kick stand appears to be stock
if possible-get a tire tread dept guage-check outside tread-then center.center should
always have more!!this is why it appears to be flat.
as for me when i am finished with the needed suspension work and tired of looking
at the rear tire-i will do a burn-out that will make "ghostrider"proud!!
then she will get a fresh set of tires-diablos[sm=smiley20.gif]
for now check into the tires

[sm=alcoholic.gif]
o8

Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 AM

I tried to get figure out what tire it was but my phone didn't provide enough light. I checked the tire pressure of the first time [bought bike sat. afternoon across the state] and it may be my pos gauge but I got 20psi front, 25psi rear, WAY low. The bike is hard to corner with, I think it's mainly the suspension settings being too stiff. A friend rode the bike and said the same thing. I could run circles around [myself on] the 95 with my goofy 500lbs bandit. I'm guessing the suspension settings aren't right for me and the psi being too low makes the bike handle this way. The bike has 8800 miles, front stock tire is almost dead, the rear is in decent shape. BTW it's spray painted flat black, not primered. Not my doing, but it looks pretty good most of the time. I'm not much of a 'show' guy anyways.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 AM

BTW it's spray painted flat black, not primered. Not my doing, but it looks pretty good most of the time. I'm not much of a 'show' guy anyways.
i am not used to seeing flat colors on a bike-my bad sorry.besides 954's always look good[sm=smiley20.gif]
just check the tires-you will find they are not helping the handling of the bike-as far as suspension
settings,what i have found with my bike-when stationary-all is well(feels a little bit stiff)-when going over
bumps-there is alot off slack-when i first raised the bike-the upper tube moved maybe 2.5-3 inches
before the lower tube/tire even began to move!!!!-this is why i say forks on a 954 need to be reworked
-a old article about 954 fork settings was handed to me about the time of my discovery!!
(i am still trying to figure out how to get the article from paper to this forum)the fork slack is
good for stunting and some-what tame driving!!!-big guys should not have too much trouble,as
the bike cant raise as fast as it could with a lighter rider-this points toward the springs
-sometime this week i will try to get this article posted-there is a trick to this(springs)
you will also need to read a post that don collins made in general tech-lowering bike!!
i hope i have helped you in some way!
o8