CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

need help with streeing stem and axle please

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with streeing stem and axle please

Hi i racked my 954 last week. forks are little bit twisted. i need to know that what i need to changed. Do i need to change axle or streeing stem or both. please help me with this problem.
Farokh

Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Default RE: need help with streeing stem and axle please

take the forks off and re-assemble the front end. It might just be twisted in the trees. If the forks are bent, you should have them checked and straightened/replaced. If they are beyond repair, try and score a set off e-bay... my guess is $3-400.00 for a used straight set is pretty common. I'm betting that the steering head bearings aren't too bad, but they are pretty cheap if you want to do them while you are at it. Depends on the mileage on your machine, but head bearings usually last quite a while. Should be cheaper than $100 for new bearings and races.

To do the headbearings you will need to knock out the old races with a hammer and screwdriver (CAREFULLY), pack the new bearings with grease by rolling the bearings into your palm into bearing grease. They are properly greased when the grease starts coming out of the underside/inside of the bearing housing. knock the new races into the steering head using a block of 2x4 to cushion the impact (place overtop of the races and lightly hammer them into the steering head), then place the grease packed bearings onto the races. put the trees & steering head back on, and torque to factory settings while checking for adequate movement of the bearings in the head. Make sure the forks are set in the trees straight with a short test ride, and then check over the steering stem torque again to make sure all is good.

Thats it in a nutshell... tough to explain over the internet, but good luck. I would take the front end apart before going too drastic, then tighten it all down and see if it set itself straight.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Thank you very much for the respond. That was really helpfull. I took my bike to the Honda dilearship and they told me i need to change my axle and streeing stem BOTH., but when ithought of it i thought it might not be neccessary to change both of these. i will def disassable and assamble my forks back to see if my problem get fixed. Don't you think i need to change my axle at alll??!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at the axle if seems a little bent, wouldn't hurt to replace it and have everything 100% true and straight, plus it's not that exspensive off ebay or a forum

Old 04-22-2006, 04:26 PM

+1 on that. Get a used straight axle just to be on the safe side. Just remove the forks from the trees; from your response it almost sounds like you want to disassemble the whole fork unit (the springs, etc. don't need to be removed.) Just get them checked for straightness and take it one step at a time.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks for help. I opened all plastics and, meter, etc. Bike starter work but enging won't fire. Does it have anything to do with stuff that i have opened??!!
Farokh

Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Wow, I am having such a hard time understanding what you mean. Please elaborate, start slow and go step by step.[>:]

Old 04-22-2006, 06:57 PM

Sorry for being unclear!! i figured that out and i fixed the problem,but i have another quition. i jacked the bike up and front wheel does NOT spin smoothly. I am going to chnage the bearing as you said i need too. Will this replacement fix my problem. The reason i am asking is i wanna know if i need to order more parts that i can order them all at once. Please forgive me for asking to much quistions. Let me know if i have been asking too much.
Thank you
Farokh

Old 04-23-2006, 01:39 AM

No man, you are not asking too much. That is what we are here for. If the forks are twisted, could the brake calipers be causing the pads to bind up on the rotors? Or did you remove them? I would take the brakes off if you haven't already, and then give the front wheel a spin.

Its kind-of a step by step process. I would undo the 4 bolts holding the forks to the triple tree and try to realign the front as best you can; then you will get a much better idea about the need for parts.

Pictures always help, so if you have access to a digital camera we could definitely get a better picture of your problems.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:51 PM

Hi again!!
I opened my front wheel and i realized thet calipers are stock,so i opened calipers and lub them and put them back but they are still stuck a little bit. What cause this problem and how can i fix calipers.
I have attached three pics that you can see how much bent forks are and pic of caliper.
Thank you
Farokh

[IMG]local://upfiles/6725/04305452367D4DEB837EF578E3E9F614.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6725/C37B7CD9D4AF4E48AE3BB4CFD66CC17A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6725/3D25FA4078E44286A2C4D0B9A2748749.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: need help with streeing stem and axle please