CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

much needed ADVICE on recent 954rr purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default much needed ADVICE on recent 954rr purchase

Peace & safety to all!! I just joined the forum, as well as recently purchased a used (2003 954rr black/titanium). The bike has 1300 miles on it & I agreed to pay $8000 for it, it has some minor scratches on the pipe side fairing from being knocked over in a garage. (only damage I could see) The bike is currently in a local speedshop awaiting the following mods....(already including in the purchase price)...... power commander - tri oval carbon fibre full yosh race system exhaust - dipped front & rear wheels - black chrome double bubble shield - chrome rear sets - chrome shifter - paint to match undertail - clear front turn signal stalks - all mods with custom fuel mapping, and the shop doing the work has a dyno machine.

1st question? Good price (in the forums opinion) with the aforementioned mods?

2nd question? After reading the forum, the majority states I should be careful about full race exhaust system (valve trouble)? The guy is supposed to fuel map it and he has a dyno. I sure could use some feedback before the work is completed.

3rd question? Will I be able to retain the rear footpegs/rear passenger capability with the tri oval yosh full race exhaust? If not my fiance' is gonna kill me!!

I really appreciate any input from the forum members. I have owned a yamaha seca II (don't laugh), Honda VFR750, & a KAWI ZX-7R, but this is my first 954rr and I don't know the bike very well yet. HELP? Thanks guys (& gals)... I owe ya one........James

[IMG]local://upfiles/644/741AF60E35264D8DABB3DE996B039137.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Default RE: much needed ADVICE on recent 954rr purchase

If the Yoshimura is the standard exhaust and not a high mount it should mount up like the pipe you show in the picture, and retain your pegs and all. I do know that the exhaust valve in the mid pipe can be noisy, but I am not aware of any "problems" ( of course I dont own one of these, but I do own a motorcycle store....)
The power commander will just help your bike run at its full potential, it will still run without it but will run better with it.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:36 PM

Sirlimpzalot,

Hey thanks for both of your replies. This one and in the "New members area". I appreciate your input. I will call the local speedshop tomm. to make sure that it is not a high mount. The picture that I posted is without the mods that are currently being done. I cant wait to get it. I recently ordered some chrome replacement CBR stickers on ebay for 20$ (pretty sweet price). If anybody is curious about that, hit me up on a email. Thanks again for the advice, by the way, do you think the price was fair considering the mods etc? James

Old 03-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this is a full system then you're prolly doing away with the midpipe valve right? A full system shouldn't be any harder on your engine valves either. Here's what happens: dude puts a full race pipe and can on a bike, runs it at the limiter all day long, eventually drops a valve and blames it on the exhaust system. If you're actually gonna go race the thing then I'd suggest stronger springs, ti retainers and other cool race stuff that's needed when really straining the engine. If you're just gonna dip into the 12K rpms occasionally I'd say run that puppy. Seems like you're getting a sweet deal to me.

Much luck and joy with your new toy.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:30 AM

Hey thanks CHAINSTRETCHER for the input. I am a few crashes past the whole shift @ 12,000 rpm's all the time stage. I was looking for some insight prior to the yosh system being put on. Actually I am not sure what the tuner is gonna do with the midpipe valve. Thanks for bringing that up so I can ask him prior to installation. Should I do away with the midpipe valve in your opinion and why? Sorry for the rookie question? James