CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

major motor failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major motor failure

so last friday i was on my way home and i feel my foot slidding around on the rubber peg insert...figured i stepped in some oil before i left work...look down to find the entire side of the bike covered in coolant...i know it didn't over heat and leak out so i figure maybe (hopefully) the cap just came loose from the overflow jug and some splashed out...so nurse it home easy as to not over do anything...take the side cover off and am looking around...i clean everything off and start the bike up to see whatever it is i can see...i find a small hair line crack in the cylinder wall just above and behind the overflow jug...so i'm freaking out and take the bike to a small local honda shop the next day and they say they've never heard of the cylender cracking or anything like that but that they'll call honda corporate in california on monday...come to find out its happend before and they're going to replace my lower case, the cylender(s), lower bearings, and rings...so thats a relief...now i can't stop thinking about who is touching my baby and who will be taking her apart and putting her back together and what problems i'm bound to run into in the future...i have no faith in anyone taking my bike apart except for me...i've never disasembled a bike that extensively before (although i've seen it done) and i'm just worried about them putting it back together properly...so many parts...i also work at a bike shop so i know the things that go on and what can happen

Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Default RE: major motor failure

how many miles was on your motor and did they tell you what caused it or was it just a defect or something your making me concerned

Old 06-30-2005, 11:24 PM

right around 8000 miles on my bike...i broke it in easy and i've never really abused it...not to say i don't ride it hard but i know it can take what i dish out...i guess they're framiliar with the problem so its happend before but no one i've talked to has ever heard of anything like that happening so i know its not common

Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 AM

finally got my baby back last thursday afternoon and have only managed 200miles on her thus far...due to a bike show and events at the bike shop i work at i was at work for 15hrs on friday and 8 on saturday and then going to a show after that...however everything does seem to be in perfect order and i did not have to pay a cent...although i did see the parts bill and at dealer cost it would have been around $2700 in parts alone...so unfortunatly it did happen and right in the middle of the summer but fortunatly honda covered it and i'm back to ridin my baby

Old 07-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic news -- glad you guys are reunited